The Monster Ball perfect for all ages, incorporates crowd into show

%26%23160%3B

In order to truly make an impact in the music industry today and make money, artists must tour relentlessly and put on a show that brings in a variety of concertgoers. Lady Gaga has perfected the science of touring by producing an elaborate stage production that invites fans of all ages and backgrounds to enjoy the show.

And, unlike many of her counterparts in the music industry, she puts on her spectacle while singing live, a feat that she rightfully prides herself upon.

When Gaga’s Monster Ball Tour rolled into the Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn Hills, Mich. Saturday, it was more than a concert; it was a party and a celebration of not only Lady Gaga but the fans that gave her the level of fame she has. It was easy to lose track of the amount of times she thanked those in attendance for coming and she did everything in her power to make the show a gift to them.

The two-hour set highlighted the best moments from her 2008 album, “The Fame,” and all of the songs on her 2009 mini-album, “The Fame Monster.” With a bevy of backup dancers and musicians, she sung her biggest hits, never missing a beat even with all of her choreography and elaborate costumes.

Whether she was wearing outrageous dresses that had pieces that moved on their own, giant furry monster-like costumes or a simple bra and underwear set (but, since this is Lady Gaga, it was a glistening set), Gaga used her numerous costume changes to entertain the audience and show off her creativity.

The set design featured a city landscape with neon signs reading “Implants sedation [and] dentistry” and similar slogans mocking the modern celebrity culture. The eye-catching design of the set pieces created an overload for the senses.

Video screens featuring clips of, among others, Gaga eating a heart, distracted the audience while she would change costumes and sets, including an impressive moment where she was whisked away in a tornado.

However, while much of Gaga’s persona is based on her visuals, the Monster Ball allows her to show off her impressive catalog of hits she’s amassed in just two years. She brought the house down during songs like “Alejandro,” “Poker Face” and “Bad Romance,” with the audience singing along for every word and taking in the moment.

Even though Gaga is best known for upbeat party songs, the highlight of the show came when she sat down at the piano and let her voice do the work. When she performed “Speechless” and “You and I,” a song from her upcoming album, she proved that she has the pipes and the showmanship to back up her show. The piano bursting into flames while she was playing was not enough to keep people from focusing on her strong vocals during those songs.

The Monster Ball is truly a giant party, and Gaga worked hard to make it that way. This was an atmosphere where every person who ever felt insecure about himself could have fun. Singing lines such as “I wanna take a ride on your disco stick” did not feel odd at this concert, because it was a perfect opportunity to let go of one’s inhibitions and, for lack of a better term, just dance.

It was fascinating to analyze the audience at the Monster Ball. While many of the audience members appeared to be females in the 18-34 age bracket, they did not come close to making up the entire audience. Men came with their significant others (male or female) whether they were 17 or 77 and the age ranges of the women were not limited to the twentysomethings.

This was not a jeans-and-a-T-shirt concert, either. People dressed to the nines, many of them wearing elaborate costumes based on Gaga’s fashions. Homemade lighted disco sticks, Mickey Mouse-style glasses and police caution tape working as a top and skirt emulated from her various music videos were some of the many highlights.

Males wore neon signs around their necks that read “That boy is a monster,” (a lyric in Gaga’s song “Monster”), some wore more makeup than their female counterparts and some men who should not go shirtless in public chose to do so.

While Lady Gaga was the star of the show, she did a fantastic job of making it a show for everyone to be outrageous and themselves. No matter where you are seated in the venue, it’s impossible not to enter the fun atmosphere that is the Monster Ball.