Men’s basketball hosts Ohio tonight

The Falcon men’s basketball team may have been 3-0 against Ohio last season, but the 2010 Bobcats are a much different team, despite returning just two starters.

Nonetheless, BG (8-7, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) will look to continue that modest winning streak tonight when they host Ohio (9-8, 0-3) at 7 p.m. in Anderson Arena.

The Bobcat team BG faced last season had three seniors – Jerome Tillman, Justin Orr and Michael Allen – that paced an offense which scored 64.8 points per game.

But this year, the emergence of junior transfer Armon Bassett (13.7 points per game) and freshman D.J. Cooper (13.4 points per game) have helped the Bobcats increase that scoring average by almost eight points to 72.4 points per game.

However, the team has struggled away from home, going 2-5 in road games this season and scoring more than 70 points twice. Last season, the Bobcats only won one conference road game.

BG and the MAC’s No. 5 defense (65.4 points allowed per game) will also try to keep that streak up while trying to stifle OU’s attack, while putting on an offensive show of their own.

In the past two games, the Falcon offense has averaged 72 points, well above their season average of 61.8 points per game.

They will be led offensively by sophomores Scott Thomas and Dee Brown – who have combined to average 41 points in the past two games, a 68-65 loss to Buffalo and a 76-70 win at Kent State.

“It was good to score points,” Orr said about the win. “We shot the ball well and made our free throws in the second half.”

In the game, the Falcons scored 48 second-half points on the strength of a 15-of-26 shooting effort – which included five 3-pointers – and a perfect 13-of-13 effort from the free-throw line.

But Orr is not a coach who dabbles in the past, and he is already looking to tonight’s game against Ohio.

“Our goal is to win the next game,” Orr said. “The next game is the biggest game of the year.”