‘Spaced’ is a blast from British television past

Since the television is largely full of reruns and lackluster new programming right now, summer is the perfect opportunity to discover shows that went under the radar in their initial run. 

For those who appreciate clever and silly comedies from over the pond, “Spaced” is a great summer discovery. Airing from 1999-2001, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (both from “Shaun of the Dead” and “Hot Fuzz”) star in this show about twentysomethings in London attempting to survive in the new millennium. 

Pegg’s character, Tim Bisley, shares a flat with aspiring writer Daisy Steiner (Jessica Stevenson) and an array of fellow building dwellers and friends (such as Frost’s gun-loving Mike Watt) that create an interesting living environment. Tim and Daisy are fairly apathetic, and they must fight these tendencies in order to find happiness in their lives.

Filled with hilarious popular culture references and lovable, relatable characters, “Spaced,” like the movies Pegg and Frost made together (with director Edgar Wright, who is also behind this show), provides an outright hilarious look at modern life. Anyone who enjoyed their movies is likely to enjoy “Spaced.”

Since it’s not the newest show, some of the pop culture references may be a bit outdated.

However, these references, such as Pegg’s character’s outrage over “Star Wars: Episode I,” are still relatable and ridiculously funny in 2010.

The short-but-sweet series only lasted 14 episodes, so even those with the busiest summer schedules can make time for the show.  All of the episodes are available for free viewing on Hulu.com, and the entire series, complete with plenty of extra features, is available on DVD.

Looking for more television commentary and recommendations? Check out my blog, Tantalizing TV, at http://tantalizingtv.blogspot.com/.