The reasons why some people get tattooed

Ever see someone who has a tattoo and wonder why they decided to get that tattoo? Tattoos have become a popular trend among this generation. It’s not uncommon to see someone with ink on their body. There are many reasons why someone would want to.

1. THE MEANING

For a lot of people, getting a tattoo means representing something that means a lot to them. People get tattoos for self-expression and memories. Some people get tattoos, such as a name or symbol, expressing their love for someone else. Others get tattoos representing a family member or friend who may have passed away, which could be represented with dates. Tattoos can become daily reminders of the people in your life that mean the most to you.

2. SHOWING SUPPORT FOR AN ARTIST

That interesting ink you may spot on someone’s body may just be because they liked the artist’s work and wanted a piece done by them. This is more common than you would think. Some people may just walk into a shop and tell the artist to do whatever they please, because they saw their work online and thought it was cool. For a lot of people, this could be a very scary thing, but to others, it’s a way to support the art of tattoos.

3. JUST BECAUSE

There are some people who just want a tattoo, so they get one. There may not be any particular reason besides just wanting one. There are people who just get a dot on their body just to say they got a tattoo. Others may just get one to fill in a spot for a sleeve of tattoos.

4. TO COVER SOMETHING UP

Some people may get a tattoo to cover up something on their body, like a stretch mark or scar. There is actually a new trend in the tattoo world where some people get the color of their skin as a tattoo to cover up stretch marks. Other people may just want to cover up another tattoo — maybe the name of a person they don’t affiliate with anymore.

5. SOME PEOPLE JUST LIKE THE PAIN

This is a weird one, but some people get tattoos because they like how it feels. Although that may not be the only reason, a lot of people love the pain of the needle when getting a tattoo. This may be because it’s a whole different pain than going to a doctor’s office and getting a shot, which a lot of people fear. In the end, it creates a work of art on your body. This can lead to people becoming addicted to tattoos.

6. ADDICTION

There are some who say they’re only going to get one tattoo but then end up changing their mind because of how much they love it. I am definitely one of those people. What becomes addicting is the feeling and excitement of getting a tattoo and then also the artwork that comes out of it after. Some people just think it’s super cool to go and get a tattoo and love the feeling of getting one.

7. TO BECOME SOMEONE ELSE . . . OR SOMETHING ELSE

Another way people use tattoos is to become something else. This may sound a bit strange, but some people get tattoos to look like an animal or other people. There are people who get face tattoos in the pattern of a lizard or a cat and go through surgeries to make themselves resemble that animal. I’ve also seen some people who go through surgeries and get face tattoos to mimic the look of their favorite famous person. The dedication that would take is amazing.

The next time you want to get ink, think about the reasoning behind it. Are you getting one for the meaning behind it, or is it a spontaneous decision? Do you want to jump on the bandwagon and face the needle, or are you trying to cover up something? Whatever the reason, tattoos can be a fun but permanent way to express yourself through art, which is pretty rad.