Why food matters on a daily basis

I have “Obsessive Food Disorder.”

While most people decide their next meals a few moments before they eat, I have a week’s worth of breakfasts, lunches and dinners outlined with all the necessary ingredients on hand, ready for preparation. Food magazines and cookbooks litter my home office, kitchen and living room. I’m willing to drive hours to procure one ingredient. When asked what I’m thinking about, my response always starts with, “This recipe…” I have even created and taught food-themed GSW honors classes and service learning classes. In fact, I’m teaching two this semester.

Many students, colleagues, friends and family members ask me, “Why food?” My answers are countless, but here are three that I’m most passionate about.

Food affects our health. Eating foods high in vitamins, antioxidants and proteins – such as kale and legumes – helps sustain and maintain our immune systems, complexions, weight and overall fitness. Certain foods can reduce cholesterol, heart disease and the risk of certain cancers. If food can add a couple of years to my life and give me enough energy to get through a long day chockfull of spin class, yoga class, teaching, meetings, grading, writing and walking the dog, why not care immensely about what I choose to eat?

The environmental impact of food is just as important. Choosing organic produce and sustainably raised meats helps protect our land, ozone and ecosystem. The local food movement boasts that seasonally raised tomatoes taste better then those found in the grocery store in the middle of January. But, more notably, eating local foods means a reduction in emissions from the refrigerated trucks hauling produce from California to Ohio, and it means the dollars I spend on food go back into my community – to farmers I can chat with face-to-face and develop lasting bonds with. Our demands as consumers dictate our supply of food. If I make choices that show companies I want humanely raised meat, organic dairy products and seasonal veggies, then, essentially, I’m taking a political stand for the types of food I deem safe for my family and our Earth – and I expect companies to work harder to supply those foods.

A sense of community is the most significant reason why I’m food obsessed. I love how food gathers people around a table to share their stories, toils and dreams. I can’t count how many times a casual discussion about a favorite food, restaurant or recipe has led to lasting friendship. Or how a conversation about food preferences has led to an insightful talk about politics, relationships and the human condition. It sounds lofty, but it’s true. The next time you’re sitting down to a meal with others, observe the natural course of dialogue. You’ll see what I mean. Traditions such as potlucks and birthday meals are testaments to food’s ability to create and nourish our fellowship with one another. That’s no coincidence.

Which leads me to this question: “Why not food?”