Tennis loses in the Battle of I-75

The BG womens tennis team fell to rival Toledo on the road Friday, 6-1, in an early-April Mid-American Conference matchup. While the final score might not show it, the Battle of I-75 was close and competitive all the way through.

Paula Comella and Drew Fillis picked up a doubles win for the Falcons, and the duo of Polina Radeva and Emily Witt lost a close doubles match to Toledo’s Megan Miller and Lauren Thai, 6-4. The Rockets took the doubles point, though, thanks to a victory over Bowling Green’s Leeah Floyd and Antonina Farrar.

“We let our nerves get the best of us, and we can’t do that,” head coach Olga Elkin said in reference to the Falcons losing the doubles point, which was the team’s focus heading into the match. “We are young, and we will learn from that.”

The Falcons saw more tight matches in the singles portion of the event. Elkin was not suprised with Bowling Green’s competitive play in this portion, saying, “We were nice and focused going into the match.”

To start singles, Comella took a commanding 6-1, 6-2 victory over UT’s Sidnay Huck. Radeva then battled closely with the Rockets’ Emily Mazzola, but was eventually defeated, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.

Fillis fought tough in her match, falling in a slim margin to Toledo’s Colleen O’Brien, 6-3, 7-6 (4). Witt also had a close match, although she was defeated by the Rockets’ Miller, 6-2, 6-4.

With the loss, BGSU fell to 2-14 on the season, with a 0-3 record in the MAC. Toledo gained its first conference victory to become 1-2 in the MAC and 7-9 overall.

The Falcons will now face Eastern Michigan (3-13, 0-3 MAC) in their first home match since a narrow 4-3 loss against Chicago State Feb. 27. BG has lost its last four matches versus the Eagles, the most recent win being a 4-3 home victory in 2011.

The wins have not come easy for Eastern Michigan, though. Two of the four victories over the Falcons were by a 4-3 margin.

“It feels great getting back home for a match,” Elkin said on the Falcons returning to campus. “We are hoping the weather holds up, and we can get outside at home.”

Elkin also noted that the doubles point will be very significant for Bowling Green, just as it was heading into the Battle of I-75.

The Falcons’ match against EMU is set for April 10 at 1 p.m.