Students should keep an open mind toward biology

It’s getting close to the end of the semester, and while the holidays are probably more prevalent in your thoughts, you inevitably are thinking about next semester. Maybe you are nervous because you realized you are signed up for that introductory biology class, and there is a reason that you aren’t majoring in biology. If you’ll just hear me out for a second, though, I’m here to tell you a few things that may help you get through that class with the idea that the concepts you learn will be applicable to your life.

At first, the concepts that you learn in introductory biology may seem trivial. Why should you care about genes or basic concepts about the environment? You aren’t planning a career in anything related to biology or science. However, taking the class seriously could lead you to understand the world you live in a little better. After all, science and technology are all around us. It’s represented there in your cell phone and every time you go to the doctor. It’s used for everything that you eat and drink. In fact, you probably already know a lot more than you think about how technology and science work, you just don’t realize it. Introductory Biology will build on this knowledge.

Genes, for example, may not seem important right now. You know they make up life in general, but why should you need to know how they work? As we move further in our understanding of the human genome, we are finding that many diseases are actually caused by our genes. There may come a time in life where you will need to visit a genetic councilor either for yourself or a loved one. This person will help you understand a genetically caused disease or syndrome, but if you go in knowing the basics about genes from your intro biology class you may be a step ahead. This little background knowledge may help you ask more in-depth questions about a disorder so that you can get the best treatment.

Understanding science can also help you make more educated decisions about the information you are getting from the world. Your introductory biology class will help you gain the skills to be able to decide whether a news source is credible. We all know that everything on the Internet is not necessarily true. Scientists have a specific method for asking questions and finding answers about the world in order to get the most relevant and true information to us. You may want to know more about GMOs or climate change and introductory biology can help you find sources that are credible and not just opinions or made up information.

While we all have to take classes that we aren’t interested in, maybe taking the time to look at how the information may apply to your life outside of your career could help you enjoy the class a little more. Even though everything won’t be applicable, you may be surprised how the knowledge affects you later on. We live in a world that is driven by science, and understanding even a tiny portion of it can help you live a better life.

Reply to Caitlin at