Grow on your own, whether in a relationship or not

I’m sure at some point in their lives, each person has been single. Relationshipless, so to speak. With the commencement of “cuffing season,” I wanted to address a topic pretty near to my heart: relationships. 

Today, societal standards dominate every aspect of love and relationships. Society expects us to find a partner as quickly as possible, so much so that new dating apps have been invented for the sole purpose of meeting potential partners. 

Single people are often portrayed as lonely and sad, while couples are projected as happy and complete. With all the pressure that these standards put on our love lives, it can be easy to become desperate for love and settle for an unhealthy or unsatisfying relationship.

What society refuses to point out though is it’s perfectly okay to NOT be in a relationship. On top of that, no person needs another human being to “complete” them. And the idea that you must be in a relationship to achieve happiness? Lies. There is a wonderful world waiting for everyone, and you do not need to depend on anyone else to have a great life, despite what we are told in the media and in the expectations of others. In fact, there are several benefits to being single.

Being single allows for lots of personal growth. 

Going through each day alone, there is no necessity to check in or be in constant communication with another person. Also, it frees up your schedule significantly! 

Waiting to begin a relationship allows for time to discover yourself, your likes, dislikes and your passions. Frankly, it can be difficult to experiment and find yourself when there is a constant attachment to another person.

It also helps you grow physically. Less time spent going out or eating with a significant other could translate into eating a healthier diet and working out more. It is easy to live an easier and healthier lifestyle when you can live it however you want, instead of being dependent on another person.

Additionally, waiting for a relationship can allow you to form opinions and ideas about who you might fall for next. While being single, it is easy to picture yourself with someone, or entering a relationship. But instead of being lonely, that time can be useful and hopeful because it allows you to think about qualities you may look for in your next relationship. 

Also, by ensuring that you genuinely like and care for your next significant other, it reduces the risk of a relationship gone wrong. By taking it slowly and not rushing into anything it establishes a solid foundation for a good relationship in the future.

Now, I’m certainly not saying that it’s wrong to be in a relationship, or you shouldn’t enter one given the chance. I’m merely trying to provide comfort and support for the single people here at BG, because being single can be awesome! 

Too often society portrays being single in a negative light, but there are so many fun things to do while single! Life is what you make it, in a relationship or not. Society or anyone else should not play a role in your decision to enter a relationship. 

Love should come naturally and not be forced simply due to society’s expectations or other people’s judgements. Being single is a unique and awesome experience, and it’s not something that should be wished away, but something that should be celebrated. 

Reply to Bailey at