Practice kind traits after the election’s negativity

We could talk on and on for days about the results of the presidential election. We can discuss who we thought should have won, or who we think is racist and unfit for presidency, or who we voted for. At this point, the election is over and it is now the task of every American citizen to accept the result of the vote, like it or not. 

However, one thing remains that will never change, even with the changing of presidents: the ability and eagerness to set an example for the next generation of citizens. 

While we may or may not be satisfied with the results of the election, it is still the job and duty of every individual to do their part in exemplifying characteristics of integrity, competence and empathy. Each of these characteristics mentioned are qualities of a good leader. 

While many of us will point fingers and shoot blame about the destiny and fate of America, the reality is that everyone is responsible for raising intelligent children and setting a good, loving example for a community. America is a great country because we all have the freedom to lead effectively. We should use that right and privilege to lead to our full ability.

The election is much bigger than electing one person to institute laws. The people of America live within societies and communities each day. We are the voice of change, and it is primarily up to us to show love and leadership to others. We cannot change the election or do anything about it, but we also don’t have to let the results define how we live and treat others. 

When we show resentment and hate about the election results, little minds are soaking up each word and action. Children need to be shown love and compassion. 

As a teacher, I am the one who sets an example for my students daily. I am the one who encourages my classroom to be accepting, encouraging and hard-working. I cannot allow one person to dictate how I run my classroom, and I surely cannot point at the leading presidential figure and tell my students to follow them instead of implementing those qualities myself. Ultimately, it is my job to continue to push positive values.

Additionally, we cannot let feelings of resentment towards our new elect dictate how we go about living our daily lives. We can point fingers and blame forever, but it is not conducive to our situation and does not make positive progress. 

So yes, while it is okay to mourn and wish for it differently, there comes a point when we must put the differences aside and unite as a country. 

Being divided will not suffice in this country, and we are stronger as a nation than to fall apart with one election.

Now is the time more than ever. Each American needs to rise, stand up and fight for their beliefs. It is not an option to lie down and complain or hate others based on one vote, even if the results of which you did not agree with. There are more important things calling to each of us. It is time to put the fighting away, accept the results and choose to continue living life in a way you see fit. It is time to show our children, students and young adults how to be good leaders. Show the children of America that it is okay to win and to lose, we just need to do so graciously and compassionately. 

Reply to Bailey at