Confrontation is a necessity

“I hate confrontation.” The simple words that almost everyone has either said or heard before.  

I mean, who enjoys the feeling of standing up against someone risking your dignity and pride? Confrontation seems like a very scary thing, especially now, with the presence of social media.

Our phones, tablets and even computers have encouraged the act of hiding behind our profiles and refusing to address the things we really should attend to in person. Using social media or text messaging merely promotes cowardice.

In our current generation, it is easier to just send a text or direct message to someone instead of making eye contact and face to face conversation. In reality, however, using our technology as a crutch only allows more hostility to instill itself in the situation. 

Hashing out a problem is always a better alternative than trying to make amends online.

A text message only conveys 5 percent of a conversations’ meaning. In a text message, it is nearly impossible to read tone, meaning or body language. Rather than solving a problem by sending a text apology, it can be read the wrong way and deepen the issue, the direct opposite of what you are attempting to accomplish. Instead, in a tough situation each party involved should take some time to simmer down from the initial conversation or argument.

Giving yourself and the other person(s) enough time to recover from their initial negative emotions allows the conversation to be seen through a logical light at a later time. Once everyone is calm, then a simple conversation can be had discussing the issue and each other’s thoughts. It is so much better to have a face to face interaction one another because it minimizes the amount of misinterpretation.

Countless times I have attempted to solve frustrations through a text and I have only worsened the issue.Invite them over, meet them for food, talk to them. It won’t kill you, I swear.  

Along with the decreased risk of misunderstanding, once a conversation takes place, the problem can subside. With a text or call, feelings of frustration or anger can still persist and the issue can drag out or continue for a long period of time.

When you have a confrontational conversation with someone, there is a greater chance that you will hash it out for good. It is a simple way to really reconnect with that person and get to the root of the problem, even if it might be nerve-wracking. 

Even though it may be daunting to physically approach someone and talk about an issue that you are having, it really pays off at the end of the day.

Nobody likes confrontation, but refusing to accept it is giving yourself an excuse to not be brave. At some point in your life you will need to confront your problems- it’s better to get more practice now.

People will respect you for it too and appreciate that you don’t mess around. So the next time you’re in a fight with a friend, family member, roommate, acquaintance, or stranger, don’t text them. Don’t even call them. Talk to them. I guarantee that they will talk back.

Reply to Bailey at [email protected]