Broods takes on Industrial Synthpop

Photo Courtesy of Broods
Photo Courtesy of Broods

New Zealand pop duo Broods released their sophomore album “Conscious” June 24. The full release unleashes the full potency of Georgia Nott’s bone-chilling vocal capacity alongside her brother Caleb’s clean-cut production.

“Conscious” is the baby sibling to their first album “Evergreen” that came out back in 2014. Raw emotions are carried over in the new album, but it’s tinged with a hard maturity that digs even deeper than before. This is not an album for someone looking for a casual listen, this is an album meant for those who have been through everything, anything and nothing with someone in their life.

“Recovery” has a magnetic, pulsing electronic feel that feels dangerous when paired with Georgia’s pleading vocals. In the second half of the song her voice somehow grows and triggers an exhilarating rush that uses the third to last verse as a propeller to round out the song. In the same vein, “Worth The Fight” gets the best of her echoed sound that taunts and matches her brother’s production beat for beat.

Tove-lo receives a feature credit found on the album with “Freak Of Nature.” Her voice melts into Georgia’s so seamlessly that it gives the impression that she’s not a guest vocalist, but rather a haunting extension of the siblings.

“Are You Home” is the only soft part of the album that feels like filler that would have been better listed as a bonus track. The production does not enhance the lyrics or give life to the vocals as it does later on in other tracks. Georgia’s voice doesn’t shimmer well over the shallow lyrics.

Most of the tracks sound improved and unique when compared to their previous releases, but “Bedroom Door” sounds as if it could have been among old gems like “Taking You There” or “Killing You.” It leaves a soft admission of longing that comes with wanting someone who isn’t emotionally available. It’s the strongest they come to relating to an audience of listeners who are in a transitional period of their life. The chorus “So shut the bedroom door / and shut out the world some more / I know your head gets sore when you’re not near me / and drop your clothes on the floor / you’ve had a hard day I know / I’ve had a hard day too I can’t forget with you,” sung in a low, sultry tone make the track a perfect fit for a chill nighttime playlist.

The album’s bookend tracks are easily the sharpest and mind-catching threats.                                                                                          

If a song could sound like polished steel and getting bittersweet revenge on an ex-lover, it would be “Free.” Caleb’s synth whips as hard as a bullet, while Georgia’s high notes cry and bleed against them. Despite being the first single, “Free” does not lose any significance stacked against the other tracks.

The title-track “Conscious,” simultaneously wakes up the listener just as it closes the album down. It serves as an equal and worthy counterpart to “Free,” and in a way these two tracks serve as foils for Georgia and Caleb as his production stabs and melts into her voice throughout the album.

Conscious as well as some of their other notable songs will be brought to several stages across the U.S. this summer. Dates and venues, as well as ticket prices can be found on the band’s website.