Movie review: “Prime”

Rating: PG-13

Grade: B

‘#160;

“Prime,” starring Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep, is about a newly divorced woman (Thurman) who falls for a younger man (Bryan Greenberg).

To make other complications in the relationship, besides the age difference, Thurman’s therapist is her new beau’s mother.’#160;Can anyone say, “awkward?”

The film brings together Thurman and Streep, who work together very well.’#160;Their chemistry is great, which is more than I can say about Thurman’s and Greenberg.’#160;To be fair, Greenberg is just thrown into the match of Thurman and Streep without any way to compete with their natural click.

This was a great role for Thurman, who was very intense for her character.

However, since the film was to be a romantic comedy, the intensity could have been brought down some.

Her 37 year old character is somewhat flighty, being divorced for only a week before she rebounds with Mr. 23-year-old.’#160;This unrealistic beginning only holds up if Thurman’s character was man-dependent, but that doesn’t seem to be the case since she got a divorce from a man who cheated on her.

The film continues its unrealistic aspects as Thurman’s character suddenly develops strange disorders like not letting people over to her apartment.

She flips out when Greenberg’s character brings over a friend to their place. If my boyfriend had brought someone home with him, I would be relieved to find out it wasn’t another woman, but that’s not the case with Thurman’s character.

These misunderstandings are throughout the entire film, coming out of nowhere and leading nowhere in the end.

The plot doesn’t seem to progress with every fight; instead it just circles back around to where the couple started, which was really just them having sex all the time.

This meaningful relationship that Thurman’s character continually tells her therapist Streep is really just about all the different places Thurman and Greenberg have done it.’#160;Wow!’#160;Talk about deep!

If Thurman isn’t talking about how great the sex is, she’s complaining about how young Greenberg is.’#160;It’s almost like Thurman’s character can’t be completely happy even when things are going good.

Speaking of Greenberg -‘#160;his character could have been cast in a supporting role and that wouldn’t have made a big difference.’#160;One minute Greenberg’s character is a sweet boyfriend and a steady grown-up, and the next he’s getting in the way and is a slacker child.

Just because someone is young doesn’t make that person unable to carry a long and significant relationship.’#160;

The only thing that kept his character going was his relationship with his mom, played by Streep. Greenberg’s character wants to be a painter and Streep’s character doesn’t find that very kosher, if you will.Their mother-son banter kept everything tied together, though it was tied with a weak thread.

The end was the only truly realistic event in the entire film, though it was something of a cheap escape.’#160;This “May-December romance,” as this film is been referred to, shows the audience that not everything works out the way you want it to.

It was enjoyable to watch, but I wouldn’t stand in line to see the film again.’#160;If anything, watch “Prime” to see Thurman and Streep play off each other quite wonderfully.