CD review: HIM

HIM “Dark Light” Sire Records Grade: B+ HIM’s latest album, “Dark Light,” is catchy and entertaining. Their style of music, known to their fans as “love metal,” manages to be soothing and hard rocking at the same time. HIM is from Finland and began their rock and roll career in 1991. They received positive attention for their first album, “Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666.” Since their first album, HIM has become a cult favorite, and has been constantly growing in popularity. Their second album, “Razorblade Romance,” gained them even more exposure throughout Europe and America. Through word of mouth and positive buzz, they started to make a name for themselves. HIM’s formula is simple. They manage to craft imaginative rock songs that appeal to a wide audience of listeners. Many current hard rock acts tend to sound alike. HIM doesn’t sound like anyone else, which quite an amazing achievement. “Dark Light” is HIM’s fifth album, and first to be produced in America. Music fans who still haven’t heard of HIM will most likely be introduced to “love metal” very soon. The opening track of the album, “Vampire Heart,” grabs the attention of the listener and starts the album off on the right foot. The song has a gentle sensitivity, but it also has a hard rock foundation. The title track, “Dark Light,” is sweet sounding and melodic. Songs like “Dark Light” showcase HIM’s greatest talent- they successfully create songs that are haunting, soothing, and original. HIM has not only created their own genre of rock, but has successfully built a reputation on being consistent and entertaining.