New food, new look

When Harshman Quadrangle’s new dining center opens today, older residents may have to do double takes.

The room will not be what they remember.

“All the lighting is going to be brighter,” said Brad Ike, the food service coordinator primarily responsible for the reopening. “The chandeliers come down. There’s tropical music.”

A far cry from the dusky hole previously known as The Galley.

That restaurant, which previously occupied the Harshman basement space, closed in early 2004 because of University Dining Services’ budget needs. The new shop, opening in the same space, will be called Destinations and will feature a travel theme. UDS Assistant Operations Director David Maley says the previous decoration scheme had an effect on choices for the future.

“Part of the problem with the old Galley was that we didn’t have a lot of money for redecorations,” Malley said. “It was decorated as a boat, you see. We thought we’d play down the boat and play up the port.”

Along with redecorating, the restaurant will feature fare that’s healthier than The Galley’s fried food.

“We’re going to run smoothies,” said Maley. “This is similar to freshens in the Union but it doesn’t have ice cream. The residents wanted something that would be somewhat healthy.”

Harshman students were pleased with the menu switch.

“I think it’s a good option to have considering that we already have Shadows across the way,” said Daniel Mulhall, a Bromfield resident. “A couple of times a week we go over there.”

Jennifer Pitts of Anderson Hall, agrees. “I think it’s something different,” Pitts said. “It gives people a different choice.”

The shop will also feature convenience store items, hotdog-building, and a baked potato bar, which will be included in the travel theme according to Ike.

“A vendor actually suggested using a storyline, which we liked.” Ike said. “We’ve come up with a plot involving a flying ship, carrying the Spud family around the world.

“The Father builds this ship and they travel the world to find new recipes.”

Ike says the story, decoration scheme, and menu will create a way for students to escape winter drudgery and standard campus food.

“We’ll develop a story around each set of ingredients. February we might be in the Bahamas or Madagascar — something tropical.

“Sometimes you need a place to go where it’s not all about residential dining.”

While the feature items will be health and travel -centered, more standard elements will be included in an expanded area of prepackaged, convenience-store style food. Items there include cereals, breads, milk and other daily snacks.

Ike hopes the two types of food will complement each other.

“People will order, then continue shopping in the other section,” Ike said.

“Today’s society focuses on speed. The faster, the better.”

Mulhall doesn’t think he will utilize the prepackaged food section. “I usually just hit Chily’s whenever I need to go.”

Nonetheless, Pitts says the packaged snacks may come in handy.

“I probably will use it a little bit, but with Chily’s down the street, not too much. With their hours from seven to 11, I’m usually doing homework. It depends on whether I’m going shopping or not.”

Ike says this weeks soft opening will be preparation for a grand opening on the 24th.

“It’s really going to be a place where I hope people will come.”