Simpsons’ provides spiritual fodder

Would you ever turn to cartoon characters to explore spiritual questions?

Students gather every Tuesday night to watch an episode of the popular sitcom “The Simpsons” and then discuss various religious and ethical issues that are raised.

Simpsons Spirituality, hosted by Active Christians Today (ACT), began this unique discussion setting this semester.

“A friend and I came up with the idea last semester,” said Luke Gilkerson, discussion leader. “We collected episodes and started watching.”

“Simpsons Spirituality is a good mix of entertainment and deep intellectual thought,” said freshman Sarah Kuntz. “It appeals to me personally because I like to discuss theology and I like ‘The Simpsons.'”

Initially, “The Simpsons” may appear to criticize middle-class Christianity. However, “The Simpsons” merely depicts some of the people in today’s churches and the way they choose to live out their faith. The Simpsons, this group found, can represent the typical American family and the temptations they overcome.

“I come because it catalyzes a lot of good conversation,” said participant Robert Kernstock. “This is a way you can bring up somewhat sensitive topics but relate it to “The Simpsons” so it’s not so uptight and tense.”

This Tuesday’s episode “Bart The Miracle Worker” prompted discussion on miracles, both from a Christian perspective and from that of other religions.

“We’ve also had such topics as the role of women, prophesy, pluralism, the reality of Hell and ethical issues such as lying and stealing,” said Gilkerson. “The issues are so relevant, it’s easy to start good discussions.”

The use of multi-media technology and its limitations in churches was also discussed.

Participants agreed that such technology was necessary in today’s media-centered culture, and it could be used as an outreach tool to enhance church services.

However, placing too much emphasis on this technology could reduce church to be viewed solely as a source of entertainment.

Simpsons Spirituality, which meets on the 10th floor lounge of Offenhauer West, will probably not carry on into next semester.

“We’re looking at the possibility of trying to continue with a similar discussion group, but possibly with movies or a different sitcom,” said Gilkerson.