Grand jury summons archbishop

CINCINNATI – In an extraordinary move, the archbishop and chancellor of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati were summoned yesterday to appear before a grand jury investigating child abuse allegations.

Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk was later excused from testifying but may be required to appear later before the grand jury, according to Hamilton County Prosecutor Michael Allen.

Chancellor Christopher Armstrong testified, although Allen nor the archdiocese would not discuss what he said.

“We may have something to say later. I can’t say anything right now,” said Dan Andriacco, spokesman for the archdiocese.

Pilarczyk, 67, is the first archbishop nationwide to be subpoenaed to appear before a grand jury, said David Clohessy, national director of the Chicago-based Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.

“Unprecedented. Absolutely,” said Jeff Anderson, an attorney who has been active in lawsuits filed by people alleging priest abuse.

The Roman Catholic church has struggled with sexual abuse scandals nationwide since January, when documents revealed Boston church officials had long ignored complaints against a now-defrocked priest convicted of molestation. Dozens of priests have been suspended or forced to resign.

Pilarczyk, archbishop of Cincinnati since 1982, was auxiliary bishop there from 1974-82 under the late Joseph Bernardin, who moved to Chicago as archbishop and cardinal.

Yesterday, Allen lashed out at the diocese, which serves about 500,000 Roman Catholics in 19 southwest Ohio counties, saying it was not cooperating with authorities.

Last month, Allen subpoenaed the archdiocese to turn over information about the identities of people who had reported or investigated child abuse allegations and about those who were identified as victims and offenders. He said he wanted to determine whether crimes were committed.

Allen said yesterday that some of the requested information was missing but would not elaborate.

The archdiocese said it was willing to cooperate in the investigation but wanted a grand jury subpoena, which it said would keep church records confidential unless there was a criminal indictment.

Allen asked for the information after Pilarczyk said some priests accused of child abuse in the past were still working in the archdiocese after undergoing treatment. The archbishop said those priests were in positions where no problems would occur and were being monitored.

Prosecutors started the investigation in response to Pilarczyk’s statements.