USG seeks student opinion

The Undergraduate Student Government is asking for students’ thoughts on a resolution that would change the way students are billed at Student Health Services.

Representatives from USG will be asking students’ opinions yesterday, today and tomorrow in the Union Lobby from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students can sign their names on a form stating whether or not they are for or against the proposal.

“This is what we are here for,” Matt Lyons, USG head of Rules and Procedures, said. “This was brought to us because we represent the students. These are things we want the students’ input on.”

Student Health Services proposed the implementation of a $20 per semester health fee. Students would not have to pay for each individual visit to the Health Center. The fee would also cover most services provided by Health Services including X-rays, and testing.

X-Rays cost a student an average of $100 while strep A screens and urinalysis tests cost a student $10, but all would be free under the proposal.

“It will be a fantastic source of convenience,” Dr. Joshua Kaplan, medical director of Student Health Services, said. “Students won’t have to go to labs elsewhere so that their insurance can pay for the procedure.”

Kaplan said that many students refuse testing because their insurance does not cover tests at the Health Center. The standard fee would take away the insurance companies being involved with Student Health Services.

USG believes that it is important to get the students’ thoughts on the proposal before making their decision.

Before the proposal was presented to University Administration, Dr. Kaplan came to USG. Dr. Kaplan is looking for the approval of the students through USG and the Graduate Student Senate. Dr. Kaplan will not make a presentation to the administration without the support of these organizations.

“This is an issue that affects every undergraduate student,” Kylien Schellhause, USG senator from Harshman, said.

Schellhause is a member of the student health advisory committee. Schellhause was involved in bringing the resolution to USG.

Kaplan also believes that a standard fee will make Student Health Services more efficient. Students will not be charged for individual visits, so time will not be spent on setting up the bursar bill.

“It is not going to make Student Health Services more money,” Kaplan said. “It is about providing better service.”