Women fall to Premiers

Despite an 87-83 exhibition loss to the Premier All-Stars last night at Anderson Arena, there were plenty of positives for the women’s basketball team.

Stefanie Wenzel scored 26 points, and freshman center Jill Lause had eight rebounds to go along with 14 points.

The Falcons’ Coach Curt Miller said that the game helped the Falcons in preparation for the season.

“You use exhibition games to really find out going into the season what you need to keep working on,” Miller said. “I’m ecstatic at how we played at times.”

The All-Stars were a group of players with strong college — and in some cases professional — careers. Trish Bader-Binford, one of the team’s guards, still plays for the Cleveland Rockers of the WNBA.

Miller said that BG had to combat the strong individual players on the All-Stars roster with teamwork. He also said that the All-Stars’ guards — Bader-Binford and Jamie Lewis, are better than any of the guards BG will face this year.

The Falcons had a strong offensive first half, and led the All-Stars 44-39 at the break. Lause led the team with 10 first-half points. Lause said she was happy to be contributing, and gave credit to her teammates, but she also kept her performance in perspective.

“I couldn’t have done it without everybody else who was out there,” Lause said. “It just shows how hard we have been working in practice. Even though we had a decent game tonight, we still have a lot to work on.”

The All-Stars were able to take control in the second half, outscoring BG 48-39. Miller said that the team’s inability to get to the line hurt its ability to win. He also said that opponents are getting too many trips to the line. Even though BG was 10-10 at the line, only one of those free throws came in the second half. The All -Stars had 23 second-half free throw attempts.

“We, as a penetrating, aggressive offense, we have to be able to get to the foul line,” Miller said. “We are just fouling too much, and (the All-Stars’) quickness and penetration gave us trouble.”

Miller said he was pleased with several aspects of the game, including the play of Wenzel.

“Obviously Stefanie Wenzel continues to be our go-to player offensively,” Miller said. “She had a great game offensively, and if we can get Francine [Miller] healthy, I just think that gives us a great 1-2 scoring punch.”

BG will open its season Nov. 22 at home against Youngstown State. The game will begin at 7 p.m.

NOTES

All four of the freshmen players were on the floor during the second half. Miller said he was impressed with their play. … Francine Miller “tweaked her knee” in the first half, according to Miller, and was limited to just 12 minutes. Miller said that she is day to day. … Center Pam Brown is out with a MCL sprain. Miller said he wouldn’t be surprised if she returns in December, but the team won’t rush her.