Stadium security becoming an issue

It was a horrifying scene for everyone involved. As Marshall backup quarterback Stan Hill ran in with five seconds left in last Tuesday’s (Nov. 12) 36-34 win over Miami of Ohio, something snapped.

Apparently, while doing what he called defense of a player, Miami assistant coach Jon Wauford tackled a 36-year-old Marshall fan, sending him to the turf head-first, and sending him to the hospital. Wauford was led off the field in handcuffs, and along with linebackers coach Taver Johnson, have been suspended while the school investigates.

Now, the Bowling Green football program has taken stock about the security issue in their own stadium as their lone home game remaining approaches.

“I’ve talked our commissioner [Rick Chryst] about this issue,” Bowling Green athletic director Paul Krebs said. “I think as a league, we have to stand up and say we’re going to change some things. … It’s a challenging situation, but I think it’s more than rushing the field. It’s how you welcome people to the stadium, it’s the environment you provide for visiting fans.”

It’s a catch-22 situation for the staff, as Doyt Perry Stadium lends itself to easy access by fans from both the home and visiting sides.

“We have pregame discussion with our employees and the staff we have at the game,” Jim Elsasser, Assistant Athletic Director for Internal Affairs, said yesterday. “We publicly address that entry onto the field is prohibited during the last few minutes of the game. But, the way the stadium is set up, our students and fans can easily enter the playing area.

“Our job is to make sure the other team gets off the field safely,” Elsasser continued. “We want our students to be able to celebrate with our team after the game, that’s what our team loves.

But we have to make sure we keep them away from the other team, away from taunting them. This week, we will keep a closer eye on the stadium and the field, and be sure to have our officers and event staff in place.”

Krebs, in his former role as event manager at Ohio State, has plenty of experience with the issue.

“It’s about civility,” Krebs said. “Somehow, in athletics, it’s like no rules apply. Athletics should be an escape, but it shouldn’t sacrifice treating people with class. … We have had some bad experiences, and I think alcohol plays a lot into those experiences.

At South Florida, they sold alcohol right at the stadium, which obviously plays a big role in the problem.”

This issue will likely play a more pertinent role next weekend, as BG travels to arch-rival Toledo, a bitter rivalry which will likely be fueled even further by a 56-21 BG win last season.

“I have a lot of respect for the program they run up there, and I’m sure they will do everything in their power to make it a home-field advantage up there and yet not crossing that line at the same time,” Krebs said.