Sweet treats

The intoxicating smell of homemade cookies. The powerful aroma of fresh brewed coffee. The sweet smell of a fluffy croissant.

Anyone getting hungry yet? Imagine the sweet taste of the cookies, the buttery flaky croissant and the powerful flavor of the fresh brewed coffee. Is your mouth watering yet?

Carnation Cafe and the newly added bakery give students an enjoyable and quick alternative to the lines of the rest of the food court in the union.

Located in the corner of the Union set off by itself, the Carnation Cafe recently added to its name. The cafe is now the Carnation Cafe ‘ Bakery. The old campus bakery used to be in Commons but with the addition of the Union, the two have combined, according to David Maley director of Food Services in the Union.

“The idea was to be a direct outlet for the Bake Shop operation providing items baked fresh daily on the premises,” Maley said. The cafe has a variety of items that are quick and easy. They have pre-packaged sandwiches, salads and desserts. The cafe also has fresh bagels, cookies and many other items that are good for a quick bite to eat.

The cafe is especially known for its coffee. They don’t use their own or home brand. They use the coffee from Grounds For Thought; the rest of the food court uses Maxwell House.

Mike Hanhold, junior at the University can definitely tell the difference.

“The coffee is comparable to a Starbucks and cheaper,” he said. “It’s almost like BG has its own little Starbucks. They have very good mocha and caramel cold coffees.”

Delicious desserts, quick sandwiches and rich coffee aren’t the only things that the Carnation Cafe ‘ Bakery has to offer, according to Maley they offer an experience.

“The Cafe was developed to provide a corner to the large food court seating area, seating designed to be used for a more extended stay,” Maley said. “Also furniture groupings were intended to provide conversation centers for people. It also provides an option to customers for an additional service outlet while allowing us to provide a wider choice of coffee beverages and a more separate environment.”

The students have caught on. There are relatively long lines during certain times of the day, but the lines move quickly enough that students don’t have to wait.

“I usually go there if I’m in a rush and don’t want to wait an hour for a steak sandwich,” Hanhold said. “One time I went there and there was a huge line, but I got through in less than five minutes.”

The cafe is a great place to pick up a quick snack, but if students want to wait and dine in, then the dining area has many places to lounge and get away from your hectic schedules.

“It was actually very quiet compared to the rest of the Union, and me and my roommates all went there and sat on the comfy lounge chairs they had,” he said.

Warm gooey cookies, flaky buttery sandwiches, robust and delicious coffee and a laid back atmosphere. Now who’s hungry?