Snake experts work to lift ban

Constrictor snakes creep, crawl and slither, but not in the city of Bowling Green.

Nikki Badman, an animal technologist at the University, is one of many people seeking a change to the existing law at the Bowling Green City Council Meeting next Monday.

ìIt doesnít specify length, size or anything. Itís all constrictor snakes,î Badman said. ìWeíre trying to get them to at least put a decent length limit on it, maybe no constrictors over eight feet.î

Fear, according to Badman, is the main motive behind the ban. ìItís a fear of the unknown,î she said. ìPeople donít know a whole lot about them, and they only know what theyíve seen in the movies, like Anaconda.î

Many people think that snakes will always bite; however, that is not the case. ìThe only time a snake is going to bite you is if you hurt it, and itís trying to defend itself, if itís scared, or if you smell like its food,î Badman said. ìIf youíve handled rats or mice, donít handle snakes.î

Badman pointed out that snakes donít bite to kill humans. ìSince they started keeping track in 1950, there havenít been any human deaths from snake bites in our state. There are about 150 a year from dogs and cats.î

Badman, herself a constrictor owner, keeps her snake at the University. Thereís no ban on constrictors and other certain animals at the University because of their research value.

ìHopefully we can change this law so I can bring them home,î she said. ìBowling Green is one of the few, possibly the only city in the state that has a ban on constrictors.î

Sarah Tomashefski, a City Council Representative for the First Ward, cited the main reason for the law as being the trouble with maintaining the snakes. ìThey require a lot of care,î she said. Tomashefski also noted that snakes, if not cared for, can carry salmonella.

Last spring, a group including Badman approached Tomashefski, a member of the Community Improvement Committee, in hopes of getting the law changed. The third and final public hearing will be held Monday, Oct. 7, at 7:30 p.m. It will take place at 304 N. Church St. Anyone who would like to voice their opinion is welcome to attend.

Badman, a volunteer in the herpaterium where reptiles and amphibians are studied, stresses overturning the law in order to better educate the public. ìPeople wouldnít have to hide them,î she said. Badman also made it clear that they only want to legalize constrictors, not venomous snakes. ìNo venomous snakes. We agree with that.î

If the constrictor ban is not overturned, snake-lovers still have hope. ìIf it goes through, great. If it doesnít, we will have to get 600 voter signatures to put it on the ballot,î Badman said. ìWeíll do what we have to do.î