Festival Series offers campus fun

There is nothing to do on campus. There are no activities for students to attend. Going to class, eating food and working out are the only things to do on campus, right? Wrong.

This year the College of Musical Arts has put together an arousing and affordable variety of concerts for everyone to attend and enjoy with a little help from outside the University.

The Festival Series started in 1980 and over the years has seen such spectacular musical acts as: Yo-Yo Ma, The Vienna Choir Boys, The Ray Brown Trio and the Empire Brass just to name a few. This year is no different according to Deborah Fleitz, Director of Public Events for the College of Musical Arts.

“Our main goal like years in the past, is to bring these extraordinary performers to the University,” Fleitz said. “We want people to experience the best of the performing arts, and we believe that we have done this.”

This year, performing for the Festival Series will be an eclectic group of master musicians. First on the list is The Canadian Brass, who are taking the place of Three Mo’ Tenors on October 3.

“The ensemble is recognized internationally for its programs that feature virtuostic musicianship, masterful interpretations and flashes of humor, as well as repertoire that encompasses Bach to blues,” Fleitz said.”All of these ingredients make the Canadian Brass the world’s leading brass ensemble.”

Other performers that will be in the Festival Series this school year are: The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center performing on November 14, Eighth Blackbird on December 6, Les Violons Du Roy on February 6 and Jane Monheit on April 5.

A group of 12 individuals including members of the community, alumni, faculty and one student make up the committee that decides who will come to the University and perform at the series.According to Fleitz, this is anything but a simple task.

“It takes a lot to get these musical groups here,” Fleitz said. “Sometimes it takes a year to a year and a half to get these concerts booked.”

The funding for these concerts does not come from the University or the student fees that we have come to love, but from private donors, gifts and some small grants.

“This is pretty much a break even operation,” Fleitz said. “We also have a donor Festival Series, but we are pretty much self-sufficient, and the prices are very affordable.”

Students can subscribe to the Festival Series for around $40 dollars, which is completely bursarable.Students can also purchase individual tickets for the concert of their choice for $10-$25.

“We offer a great price” Fleitz said. “You can get five concerts for the price of going to see one of these groups in a major city, it’s a great deal.”

All of the concerts involved in the Festival Series will be held at Kobacker Hall next to the Student Rec Center in the Moore Musical Arts Center.

In addition to the Festival Series, the College of Musical Arts offers a variety of events to attend throughout the school year.These events include faculty concerts, student concerts and community concerts shown in different places in the community.

The majority of the concerts put on by the College of Musical Arts are free to the public. Featured next week in the Faculty Artist Series, will be John Bentley playing the oboe on Wednesday and Rosemary Williams playing horn on Sunday, both are at 8 p.m.

“We have over 400 events that should appeal to the general student population,” Fleitz said. “We have jazz, choral, vocal and many more choices. We want people to avail themselves of what we have to offer.”