Bengals to start Smith

CINCINNATI – Bengals coach Dick LeBeau, desperate to shake up his team after its 0-3 start, said yesterday that he will promote third-string quarterback Akili Smith to starter Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Smith, the Bengals’ 1999 No. 1 draft pick and starter in 2000 before losing the job, said he is grateful for the chance to reclaim the top spot.

He has the ability to scramble for yardage if his receivers are covered, a skill lacking in the Bengals’ other two quarterbacks – Gus Frerotte and Jon Kitna.

“I was a little bit shocked,” Smith said. “Thank God for the opportunity. That’s all I’ve ever wanted, was the opportunity.

“My season begins now. I’m not even thinking about being 0-3.”

LeBeau said he is not making any promises beyond Sunday as he tries to right his team. He said Kitna will be the No. 2 quarterback Sunday and Frerotte will be moved from starter to No. 3 to rest his right thumb, injured earlier this season.

LeBeau said he expects to announce other lineup changes Wednesday, including a plan to start rookie No. 1 draft pick Levi Jones at left tackle ahead of veteran offensive lineman Richmond Webb.

Webb, a former Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl lineman, said he hadn’t been told of the change. Webb, who started every game for Cincinnati last year and so far this season, has been tutoring Jones and said he has been impressed with his progress.

“I’m going to keep fighting,” Webb said. “But I’m unhappy with the way I’ve played the last couple weeks.”

The Bengals have been outscored 25-0 overall during the first quarters of their games so far and 31-3 in the second quarters, leaving the team in a big hole by halftime, LeBeau told reporters Monday, a day after watching his team lose 30-3 in Atlanta. The Bengals trailed Atlanta 20-3 at halftime.

“We are where we are record-wise. I don’t know where we are as a team, but I know we’re better than we’ve played,” LeBeau said.

He declined fault his players’ efforts or blame solely the quarterback or any other position.

In the first three weeks, Cincinnati has been outscored 84-16 by San Diego, Cleveland and Atlanta.

The Bengals’ problems at quarterback have been exacerbated by the lack of turnovers produced by the defense and special teams, LeBeau said.

“We’re going to fight through this,” he said. “I believe we will turn this around.”

LeBeau has often said in his two years coaching the team that he will shake up his lineup and insert players who give the Bengals their best chance to win.