Candy store offers sweet gifts

It’s finals time, that means that students and faculty are cracking down and hitting the books, which means stress.

But, wouldn’t it be nice if you could just throw down your books for a moment and travel back into your dreams where you are one of the kids in Mr. Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory that won the golden ticket?

Well, now that dream is a reality.

Alyssa Lee’s Cocoa Bean Fine Chocolates and Gifts has just opened in downtown Bowling Green next to Falcon House Sporting Goods. It’s old-fashioned , chocolatey treats and customer service allow us to be like a kid in a candy store; literally. According to Phyllis Spence, manager of the store, and long-time Bowling Green resident, this is the perfect place to buy your holiday gifts.

“We have perhaps the best chocolate in the Bowling Green area,” Spence said. “Our chocolate is brought in from places such as Germany, Vermont and Mexico, and is shipped to serve that day.”

At the beginning of the day, they receive their shipment of chocolate, but this is not just candy, the pieces are works of rich chocolatey art.

“We order our candy from different manufacturers and sell them the same day,” Spence said. “As you can see our truffles aren’t just ordinary truffles; they are covered in chocolate and have uniquely beautifully designs on each and every one. It’s amazing that these chocolates can be in such perfect order after being shipped across the country.”

Stay in one piece they do, until you devour them. Some of the more popular chocolate items that they sell are their truffles which are bought from different companies which help get them ready for the holidays.

“To get ready for the holidays we displaying an enormous supply of chocolates, but by far, the best chocolate that I have ever had is Lake Champlain, however, the Ultimate chocolates are very good sellers as well,” Spence said.

Encapsulated in glass counters, like back in the old days when candy shops were really candy shops, are the truffles as well as many other sources of chocolatey indulgence.

“My favorites are the turtles,” Spence said. “They are filled with pecans and then rich chocolate is poured over them to make a great piece of candy, but they are so big that it’s hard to usually finish them in one sitting.”

Remember, it is the holiday season and on top of the intoxicating flavor and aromas that you’ll leave the store with, you can also get gift wrapping.