Falcons defeat Mastodons 5-2, clinch first winning season since 2010.

Jack Walsh
Bowling Green, OH – Falcons cheering for the home run at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

Bowling Green baseball (27-17) concluded their non-conference schedule with a Wednesday matchup against the Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons (16-31) with the Orange and Brown winning their previous matchup on April 10th (8-7) at home.

The win marks the first time that the Falcons will have a winning record since the 2010 season, the first in the BGSU coaching career of head coach Kyle Hallock.

Despite a sluggish stretch for the Falcon offense, BGSU managed just their second win against a team while scoring a minimum of five runs, with BG winless when scoring below five. The first win came in game one against Ball State on March 15th winning 5-4. 

Lights-out pitching from senior lefty Rigo Ramos led the way in the victory with Ramos throwing a season-high 6.0 innings. The Archibold native only allowed two hits and a run in his start with seven strikeouts and three walks. 

The solid start by Ramos allowed the Falcons to not rely as heavily on their bullpen with only three total pitchers seeing the mound for the Orange and Brown. PFW was not as lucky as they sent out five different pitchers.

While the Falcons managed a first-inning score off of a wild pitch from freshman right-hander Sean Kasper that brought senior right fielder Jack Krause across home, they would then be held scoreless until the fifth inning. In the fifth junior leftfielder Caden Parker put a double on a rope down the right field line bringing in another.

Senior infielder David Silva made the most of just his sixth start this season, being the only Falcon to manage two hits on the day. Silva slammed a left-field double and popped a centerfield single for one run. 

The Falcons now turn their heads to their second to last Mid-American Conference (MAC) series of the year as they travel to Ypsilanti, Michigan to take on the Eastern Michigan Eagles on Friday as part of a three-game series. 

Today’s Wednesday matchup began a four-game road stand for BGSU with their Friday game set for first pitch in Ypsilanti at 3 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday slated for 1 p.m.