Meyer’s lies cut ties here

I genuinely dislike liars.

In one week, former Bowling Green Coach Urban Meyer has quickly transformed himself from a respectable young coach with the mind and charisma to make it big in the coaching business to one of those people I hate.

The liars.

Come on. Don’t fool yourself. You knew it, and I knew it, the guys at the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune knew it, the Blade’s Matt Markey knew it, and even athletic director Paul Krebs knew it. They knew he would leave. Eventually.

I ask you: why wouldn’t Meyer go?

He proved himself a good enough coach to turn a program in disarray around. He proved himself capable of instituting his system and winning with it. There’s more money to be had at bigger schools. There are bowl games to play in at bigger schools.

He has the tools, there’s no doubt. Undoubtedly, then, he was gone. Soon enough.

But after last Tuesday, what essentially became Meyer’s last address to the Bowling Green media, it seemed as though he still had time left here. If you have yet to see his thoughts from that press conference, let me sum them up: he had more to do here. He hadn’t won a MAC championship here. He hadn’t gone undefeated. He hadn’t proven himself a coach that could keep a team motivated for an entire season.

I’m not a self-proclaimed sports genius, but I will tell you I know how the business works. A coach goes to a smaller school, does well, gets a fat contract offer, and moves on to bigger and better things. Dakich almost did the same thing, and at some point down the road, will likely do it again.

The worst part of this entire situation: Meyer lied. To our faces. In effect, he lied to your faces, as we brought you the story.

Meyer was a good man in his time here. He was a fantastic football coach. He was accommodating to the media, cared about the community and campus, and cared about his players deeply. Unfortunately, the last week of his tenure at Bowling Green State University may stick with him for a long time.

He’s afraid to tell the truth.