Ribeau donates salary increase

University President Sidney Ribeau received a three percent raise on his $270,000 salary yesterday and immediately gave the money back to the University.

“It’s always gratifying to know that your bosses think you are doing a good job,” Ribeau said. “I am proud to be president of Bowling Green and proud to represent each of you.”

The raise of about $8,000 was given to Ribeau Tuesday afternoon by the Board of Trustees. The board felt that Ribeau helped create an environment that brought positive changes to Bowling Green.

“He has been a leader and a friend of this University,” Leon Bibb, trustee, said. “It is the pleasure of the board to work with this man.”

Immediately following the announcement Ribeau declared his intentions to donate the money back to the University. Ribeau’s raise will be used to start an endowment fund for the Bowling Green Experience program.

“I would like to make the first private contribution to this program,” Ribeau said.

The Bowling Green Experience is a program designed to bring critical thought of values to a student’s four years at college. The program hopes to start a growth process that will continue throughout their college years. The program is also designed to help student retention rates.

Students involved first experience an extensive orientation. They also partcipate in a first year course that stresses critical thinking on values. These students also undergo programs in their junior and senior years.

With the endowment, Ribeau hopes to expand the BG eXperience program. He is hoping to add 20 more sections in 2003.

“Expanding this program will give our students the opportunity to develop the skills they need to become the principled leaders our state and nation need,” Ribeau said. “It will help to enhance a campus environment where students determine for themselves the values they want to live by through critical thinking about action based on values.”

The board approved a faculty member for promotion and tenure as well. Department of Marketing professor Susan Kleine was given tenure status. Kleine’s work on consumer markets has been published and cited in both textbooks and consumer journals.

The Board of Trustees also approved funding for various repairs and improvements around the campus. The University will spend approximately $2.6 million on residence hall improvements. Approximately $207,700 will be spent on the Bowen-Thompson Student Union and $20,695 on parking services.