Miracle child a true “survivor”

After enduring 31 major surgeries in his 11 years, Miracle child Nathan Watt can be dubbed a true “Survivor.” A fitting title, considering this is the name of his favorite TV show.

However, unlike contestants on “Survivor,” Nathan performs his challenges in secret. And he’d like to keep it that way.

“He has different procedures that he has to do to himself everyday that he doesn’t want anybody else to know about,” Diana Watt, Nathan’s mother, said. “He doesn’t want to burden anyone else with his things.”

Born with Spina Bifida, Nathan’s first surgery occurred when he was three days old.

According to the Spina Bifida Association of America, this condition is the most common Neural Tube Defect (NTD) and affects one out of every 1,000 newborns in the United States. It results from the failure of the spine to close properly during the first month of pregnancy.

Nathan’s case, however, was not so common.

“His was a fatty, benign tumor in the spinal column where the spinal cord went out into the spinal column,” Keith Watt, Nathan’s father, said. “His was a real rare type.”

Toledo natives, the Watt family has participated in the University of Toledo’s Dance Marathon for the past two years. They were connected through Children’s Miracle Network to participate in the University’s Dance Marathon this year also.

Their first taste of Dance Marathon at Bowling Green gave them more than they expected. The University boasts the largest student-run philanthropy in Ohio and the third largest Dance Marathon in the nation.

“I knew it was going to be bigger and a lot more people,” Nathan said. “But I didn’t expect all of the playroom stuff.”

This was a pleasant surprise for both Nathan and his sisters–McKenzie, 7 and Hannah, 5. This year’s Dance Marathon was one time where the siblings were assured they wouldn’t have to share their toys.

“He’s doing whatever he wants and I’m doing whatever I want,” McKenzie said.

According to Diana, it’s the preparation beforehand that makes the University’s Dance Marathon stand out.

“In the groups that are dancing for Nathan, every single one of them got in touch with Nathan and spent time with him before the dance,” she said. “They got to know him before they danced for him.”

Nathan’s sponsors–Alpha Landa Delta, Recreational Sports and Off-Campus–have shown the Watts their enthusiasm toward the cause through their time spent with the family in events leading up to Dance Marathon.

“It’s amazing how outgoing these students are,” Keith said. “They wanted to meet the kids and spend some time with them outside of Dance Marathon because they’re busy dancing or working. The kids really appreciated the fact that they got special time with them.”

This attention is especially important to Nathan’s sisters because their lives are adjusted when Nathan needs medical attention, according to Keith.

“Their quality of life suffers too,” he said. “The other two get neglected sometimes, to a certain extent.”

Knowing how families can be impacted by sick children, Nathan wants to be a part of Dance Marathon when he goes to college.

“I still have to choose what state university I’m going to go to,” he said. “But whatever one it is, I’m always going to participate in this event.”

When he does, he’ll learn the lessons that this year’s participants have. For his mother, Dance Marathon is important for this reason alone.

“It’s character development,” Diana said. “For people of this age to care about other people that they don’t have to care about, we have a better future for our country because there are students out there doing all this stuff now.”

The experience with this year’s Dance Marathon holds a lot of memories for the Watt family, but Diana has a favorite hidden among all the others.

“As we walked through the doors, they were loved and adored,” she said. “Anytime your children are instantly loved and adored, that’s your favorite moment.”