Ephedra, stimulants proven risky

Ephedra, the controversial herbal supplement used for boosting energy and increasing weight loss, is being hailed as everything from a miracle-drug to a life-threatening danger.

Ephedra is the “active” ingredient found in products such as Metabolife, Xenadrine, Yellow Jackets and Hydroxycut. Millions of people consume these products each year, unaware of the possible risks associated with the drug.

Although the Federal Food and Drug Administration have reports of 100 deaths among ephedra users, the drug is currently unregulated. The FDA lost control over the nutritional supplement market in the early 90s.

The FDA can intervene if they receive numerous consumer complaints. However, they must provide substantial evidence to other government bodies before the drug could be removed from the market, said Doug Jackson, a fitness graduate assistant and head personal trainer at the University’s Fitwell Center.

Another problem associated with the unregulated ephedra is the inconsistent labeling on products.

“Because ephedra is unregulated, there’s no guarantee what’s on the label is in the bottle,” Jackson said. “A product may contain more ephedra than the user realizes.”

Jackson said there should be more prominent labeling on ephedra products, possibly on the front of bottles rather than the back.

Although anyone can use ephedra products, the majority of users tend to be male athletes or avid exercisers hoping to improve physical performance.

Ephedra products are banned within the NFL, Olympic Committee and the NCAA. However, a 2001 NCAA survey of 21,000 collegiate athletes revealed a 3.9 percent response rate for ephedra use.

“College exercisers use it [ephedra] to increase metabolism, give them extra energy and try to induce weight loss,” Jackson said.

Jackson continued to say that students using ephedra for weight loss purposes tend to build up a tolerance for the drug and go beyond the recommended dosage. It only takes one to two months to build up a tolerance level for the drug and have the user become addicted, Jackson said.

“Only a small percent of people will have acute body failure,” Jackson said of ephedra users. “But many users suffer the addiction and withdrawal symptoms.”

According to Jackson, the likelihood of complications with ephedra intensifies when the drug is combined with another stressor, such as exercise or harsh physical conditioning. Strokes, seizures, permanent impairments and death are some of the negative outcomes that may arise out of irresponsible ephedra use.

“Everybody thinks it’s not going to happen to them,” Jackson said.

However, Steve Bechler, the 23-year-old prospective pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, is just one example of a life lost from complications with ephedra.

“This was certainly a preventable death; it didn’t have to occur, this kind of tragedy,” Coroner Dr. Joshua Perper told CBS correspondent Sharyl Attkisson. The combination of ephedra, heat and “other medical issues” all played into Bechler’s death in February.

With Bechler’s recent death, pressure may be increased to ban ephedra supplements.

“I think the sports-governing bodies that haven’t banned the supplement will be under increased pressure to ban the supplements,” Jackson said.

Unfortunately, for exercisers, there is no true “safe stimulant.”

“All of the products that have truly stimulant effects, have negative effects on the body,” Jackson said.

Some exercisers may take stimulants to stay awake or have more energy, but many times sleep is the solution over ephedra, said Jackson.

Despite the problems associated with ephedra, it continues to have its place in the lives of many athletes and exercisers. “I highly discourage the use amongst my clients,” Jackson said of ephedra. “But ultimately, it’s their personal decision.”