Student glass association hosts largest exhibit

The Student Art Glass Association is presenting its largest exhibition to date at the Student Union today in room 105. “This is the first time we did it at the Union at this scale,” said Aaron Jack, a glass blowing student and the Treasurer of SAGA. They have held other exhibitions in the past, but none have been as noticeable to the students on campus.

With the help of signs posted up all over campus and being set up next to the computer lab at the Union many students have been looking at the glass art. The exhibition is geared towards students, but many faculty/staff members have been looking at the glass art.

“I just wish I could be that talented,” said Heather Miller, a freshman at the University while admiring the glass art exhibit. “We sold most of our main bulk, now we are going to our reserves,” Jack said. At the rate everything is being sold so far SAGA expects a good portion of the glass to be sold.

There is a range of prices to choose from depending on how much color and time was used while making the piece. The amount of time it takes to make a piece depends on the technique more than the size according to Molly Anderson, a glass blowing student and the vice president of SAGA.

On average it takes about forty-five minutes to make one piece. For some students it is hard to sell something that they put so much effort into.

“It is harder to get rid of milestone pieces,” Anderson said. Most of the glass pieces were made by upper class students, but anything of high-quality was accepted.

The University is considered to be in the top ten schools to major in glass blowing thanks to Robert “Bud” Hurlstone. Hurlstone has been a professor of the Art School at the University since 1971.

All of the glass art is bursarable as long as it costs less than $75. Today is the last day the exhibition will be at the Student Union, 9 a.m.-7p.m.