Team looks to finish at top

The Bowling Green State University track team will compete in their first scored meet of the outdoor season tomorrow when they travel to Athens, Ohio to compete in the McDonald’s Invitational at Ohio University’s Goldsberry Track.

In their first two meets of the season, only individual results were kept. In tomorrow’s meet team scores will also be kept. Head coach Scott Sehmann is confident in his team’s chances this weekend.

“We are certainly looking to finish in the top two,” Sehmann said. “These are teams that we have beaten indoors on a consistent basis…there is certainly no reason why we shouldn’t be going after those teams again.”

The Falcons will have the services of Amy Henry for the first time this outdoor season. Henry has been sidelined since the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships when she suffered a strained quadriceps muscle. Sehmann feels that Henry is at 80 or 90 percent and will be ready to go tomorrow.

Alicia Taylor has been experiencing slight discomfort in her foot during practice this week. The injury is not thought to be serious and will not keep her out of tomorrow’s meet. Taylor is coming off a strong performance at the Western Michigan Invitational last weekend where she took first place in both the 200-meter dash and the 100-meter hurdles.

Kerri McClung also had a strong outing last weekend. She took first place in the shot put for the second consecutive week. The Falcons will be without the services of Erin Leeper this weekend. Leeper will stay behind this weekend due to personal reasons and coach Sehmann is not sure when she will return to action.

The Falcons will compete against MAC rivals Ohio University, Marshall and the University of Buffalo. Wright State and Hillsdale will also compete in tomorrow’s meet.

The Falcons had to deal with temperatures below 30 degrees and windy conditions last weekend at Western Michigan. Despite this setback the Falcons came away with several individual first place finishes. Sehmann is looking for more of his athletes to step up and lead the way for his team this weekend.

“We’re looking for a handful more people to start to show the way for others and take that next step into the outdoor season,” Sehmann said. “I think we had a good week of practice and decent weather to work out in. Now it’s just a matter of putting it out on the line and getting it done at the track meet.”

Start time for tomorrow’s meet has been changed from 10 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.