Don’t forget: Have fun in college

Have you ever felt overwhelmed? Do you have a have a job? Do you have a significant other? Are you involved with any campus organizations? If you answered yes to all of these questions then you are probably stressing at this point.

If you think you are the only one who feels this way, think again. The college environment seems to be one of the most stressful; at least for those who take it seriously.

There are some key points when most college students are guaranteed to stress out: freshman year, exam time any year and senior year.

Freshman come to the University with the myth that college is the time to screw-off and have fun, thus forgetting about classes. The stressful part comes when the students receive their first semester grades. Those that received poor marks will most likely spend second semester studying harder and trying to save themselves from being thrown out of the University.

There is also the stress of being away from home for the first time and meeting new people. It is hard to meet new people, do well in classes and hold a job if you have one.

Exam time is stressful no matter what year in school you may be. An entire week of exams is enough to make anyone freak out, especially if you are a history major and all the exams are essay format. Even the more simplistic multiple choice test can make you hyperventilate if you have three of them in the same day.

Now comes your senior year. You only have two more exam weeks to endure. The stress doesn’t stop though. In fact is multiplied by about 20 and the word “graduation” sounds off in your head.

You will be leaving the University in search of your own life. It is time to get a job. Your friends are doing the same. You are now completely on your own. Is anyone crying? Well, you shouldn’t be. Despite all of this, college can be a great experience. All you have to do is remember to make some time for yourself. If you spend all day in class and then go to work afterwards, then spend the next few hours the way you want to.

If all of your time is spent working and studying, then you will burn yourself out on both and have less motivation to succeed. There is a lot of benefit to simply taking an hour or two out of the day to just sit down and enjoy the idleness.

Just don’t forget that when you leave the University you will take with you a college degree, lasting memories and hopefully a few friends.