ROTC prepares cadets for military future

Worrying about being prepared for war is not something on the forefront of the minds of most graduating seniors.

However, for the cadets that will be commissioned, graduating from ROTC, the possibility of war is staring them in the face. What they are counting on for support is their training from either the Air Force or Army ROTC.

“The program here is to educate the young men and women,” Colonel Wes Wesselman said, Air Force ROTC. “We mold an impressionable, young cadet in to a smart and confident leader.”

The Air Force ROTC has different areas that are covered in the course for each year in the program. Freshman year covers the organization and structure of the Air Force.

Sophomore year covers the history of the Air Force, and how it evolved from 1947 to the present. Junior year has a leadership focus and senior year looks at national security, the regional aspect of the world and prepares the cadets for active duty.

The Air Force cadets must also complete physical training requirements, which usually take place the summer after sophomore year.

“You have to keep the body well trained and strong for when you go to different places,” Wesselman said as he rested his hands on his large wooden desk. “You don’t know what the environment and situations will be like. It’s important to stay physically fit and healthy, he said.”

Once all of the coursework and physical requirements are finished, the cadets from the Air Force ROTC are commissioned. They become second lieutenants and then go on to complete their specialized training within the Air Force.

After being commissioned, depending on what the cadet’s specialization is, there is a contract for how many years will be served. Pilots have to serve a minimum of 10 years, navigators have to serve a minimum of six years and most other specialties have a minimum of four years.

The Army ROTC has different options for after being commissioned, and another set of requirements for getting there too.

“We focus on things that can help leadership skills and capabilities for the cadets,” Lieutenant Colonel Richard Laughlin said, Army ROTC.

Cadets being commissioned for the Army will have a contract for eight years that can be served through the reserves, active duty or combinations or both. If a cadet takes a scholarship, they have to sign a contract. Scholarships are offered for two, three and four years.

The training in the Army ROTC is a little different than the Air Force. When engaging in fieldwork, the cadets are given guidelines to follow for certain situations and have to come up with a plan of action. The cadets not only have to complete this equivalent of a basic training course, but also must attend a National Advanced Leadership Camp (NALC) and take advanced courses their last two years.

“I want [the cadets] to learn how to think on their own feet now,” Laughlin said. “That way, they can be good officers when they are commissioned.”