Lecture focuses on women’s rights

Pregnancy and power, two words that are rarely put together. However, these two concepts were the central themes of the lecture given by Dr. Rickie Solinger last night at Olscamp Hall. The lecture discussed women’s rights to control what happens to their bodies. Dr. Solinger focused on how women have historically been stripped of their reproductive rights, because they have lacked power in our society.

The event was sponsored by many on-campus organizations including the Women’s Center and the Fine Arts Center.

The lecture pushed the University students in attendence to examine where they stood on the issue of abortion rights. Solinger is a historian and accomplished author. She has written four books on women’s reproductive rights.

Jennifer Musial, a first year graduate student at the University attended the lecture.

Musial felt this topic was an important one to learn more about, because of the recent 30 year anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, a Supreme Court decision to legalize abortion. “There’s a possibility that the president may appoint people that would overturn that decision”.

Musial was impressed by the art exhibit on display in the Wankleman Gallery that complimented Solinger’s lecture.

Solinger is proud of the the art exhibit, which will be open to University students through January 31. Solinger said that the topic of reproductive rights is made more accessible to the masses through this exhibit.

Solinger touched upon many topics that are controversial in today’s society.

“It’s not always easy to listen to grim things” she said. She expressed her concern towards the Bush administration’s position on women’s reproductive rights.

The administration’s lack of support for programs that distributed birth control not only puts women at a higher risk for unwanted pregnancy, but also exposes youths to other dangers, Solinger said.

“This is not just about pregnancy, it’s about mortal illness” Solinger said.

Solinger discussed three main areas where women traditionally have not been able to control what happens to their own bodies. Medical politics, municiple politics, and national politics are all areas where women have lacked the power to control their reproductive health, Solinger said.

Solinger urged women to evaluate what role they want the government to play in their own health decisions.

“If women can’t control their own bodies, then they can never have equal pay, equal jobs.”