Training pays off for Academy

When watching network television at night in the comfort of your home, no matter how much you click the remote control, you’ll always come across a crime drama whether it be “NYPD Blue” or “Law ‘ Order.” Mostly for entertainment, these shows don’t explain the inner workings of the police department nor do they fully cover what it means to be a keeper of the peace.

After ten weeks of training from the Bowling Green Police Division, members of the thirteenth annual Citizens Police Academy graduated this past week and found out what it means to be, and what you go through to become a police officer.

“The Citizens Police Academy was a rewarding experience,” said Dawn Bialosky, senior at the University. “What I learned has given me a new found respect and appreciation for anyone who dedicates their life to serving in law enforcement.”

Throughout this ten-week experience we went through firearms training, self-defense, investigations, and essentially found out how the Bowling Green Police Division operates. I’m a television person and love watching crime dramas, especially Law ‘ Order, but actually partaking in the Citizen’s Police Academy gave me a real life look at what these people go through day in and day out, I am extremely impressed with what they have to deal with.

Some members of the class had differing opinions on what their favorite part of the program was, but agreed that this was overall a great experience.

“My favorite week of the program was the second week of investigations,” Bialosky said. “I especially liked talking with the detectives and seeing all the equipment that is used at crime scenes to collect evidence.”

Daniel Weber, sophomore, agrees with me and liked the firearms portion of the training the best.

“My favorite part of the program was probably the firearms week. I liked it because it was my first experience with a hand gun,” Weber said.

It was my first experience with a hand gun as well and even though it was a frightening one, because of the power you hold in your fists it was by far the most exhilarating.

The Bowling Green Police Officers that participated in teaching this hands on program had no qualms of taking their free time to instruct the class sessions. They were extremely diligent and very entertaining. We actually got to know each officer on a personal level and to Daniel Weber this was also an important part of the class.

“I think the Citizen’s Police Academy is a good program for many reasons,” Weber said. “It allows residents of BG, like me, to get to know the active police force. I didn’t know an officer before this program, and I’ve lived in BG for 17 years. I think it’s important to get to know police officers–before you get in trouble.”

Getting to know the officers in your community helps break down the communications barrier between students and police, and in Bowling Green, we have one of the finest organizations.

“This Bowling Green agency is second to none,” said retired Special Agent of the FBI, Clint Baber. “They generally feel you are their customers and they are here to serve you.”

At the start of this ten-week program I had a very negative view of police, I just kind of felt they were there to screw you over when you were having fun, but that’s not what they are about. These officers are truly there to protect and to serve you, barnone.

“The Citizen’s Police Academy was a great program because I learned a lot of information about law enforcement that I never really thought of before,” Bialosky said. “The best part was that each week offered something new and exciting, and I would definitely recommend this program to anyone.”

As would I. Yes, this experience is somewhat time consuming taking 3 hours out of your Tuesday nights ten times out of the year. But it was better to go through the hands-on experiences than to just sit around your living room watching Zack Morris from “Saved by the Bell” attempt to arrest some pimp because he hit one of his hookers for undercharging a trick.

The Citizen’s Police Academy is for everyone that wants to participate actively in their community. It takes dedication and a thirst for knowledge, and is extremely worth the 30 hours it takes to finish.

Editor’s Note: If you are interested in the next Citizen’s Police Academy contact the Bowling Green Police Department at 352-1131 for more information. The academy is free to anyone that is interested, but a criminal background check is mandatory.