U. students get worldly at ‘camp’

When roommates Sarah Smith and Lindsey Gaub heard about a program that would allow them to live abroad working with military children for three months, they were eager to learn more.

And they were even more interested when they found out it would only cost about $600.

The program, called Camp Adventure, allows students to work around the world at day camps for military children.

Now Smith and Gaub, both students at the University, want to share the opportunity with others at Bowling Green.

Camp Adventure, a nonprofit educational organization, trains approximately 950 students like Smith and Gaub each year to work at the camps.

The program, Gaub said, fits her career aspirations perfectly, but is a great experience for anyone who is interested.

“I want to work with children in the future — I have always wanted to be a camp counselor,” Gaub said. “It was such a great experience to be with kids that have experienced a different life than I have.”

The program is hard work, both women said, but is very rewarding.

Anyone interested must go to an all-day interview in Toledo, after which application is processed at the University of Northern Iowa, the headquarters for Camp Adventure. The all-day interviews are scheduled for Jan. 22 and Feb. 5.

After applicants are accepted, they must attend weekly training sessions in Toledo from 6-10 p.m. every Wednesday starting Feb. 9 and complete 18 hours of volunteer work with children.

“Those hours are pretty easy to get because they have a list of places you can volunteer — and baby-sitting doesn’t count,” Gaub said.

Toledo’s group is the largest at any of the 11 training sites. Last year Toledo’s the program sent 157 volunteers into the field.

Smith lived on a military base in Hohenfels, Germany and Gaub did the same in Mannheim, Germany. There are 150 possible sites.

According to Camp Adventure’s Web site, www.campadventure.com, over 10,000 children participate daily in the program, which was created 20 years ago.

The children vary in age, depending on which camp the volunteer works for. Both Smith and Gaub worked with elementary aged students.

The cost can vary, Smith said, depending on what students need before living abroad. If participants have passports, CPR training and health insurance the cost can be lower than $600.

All volunteers must pay a uniform fee, among some other preparation costs.

Another perk, Gaub said, is that the program awards participants 12 credit hours from the University of Northern Iowa, which can transfer to the University.

“Because the program is government-funded, they pay 90 percent of the schooling,” Gaub said. “So you only pay $285 for 12 credit hours.” Participants are not considered to be employees of the federal government.

The benefits of the trip are endless, Smith said — including the opportunity to travel around Europe and Asia.

“We went everywhere,” Smith said. “From the minute I got off work we were already on our way to the train station to go somewhere.”

But as fun as traveling can be, Smith said, volunteers must first focus on getting their work done.

“I want to stress that yes, traveling is great, but it is about the kids,” Smith said.

Gaub added that no matter how one looks at it, the program is a unique opportunity for Bowling Green students.

“I got to work with kids and that is what I went to do, but I got to go to Europe too,” Gaub said.

If you are interested in hearing more about Camp Adventure, contact Smith at [email protected], Gaub at [email protected] or call the Camp Adventure office at 419-530-5268.