Letters for Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Play’s sponsors deserve recognition

I am writing to clarify a few errors in Zach Herman’s Friday

Nov. 12 article, “Play Tackles Abortion.” Jane: Abortion and the Underground was produced by Planned Parenthood of Northwest Ohio.

This was NOT a production of the BGSU Theatre and Film Department.

Although the Theatre and Film department was a production sponsor (in that they loaned set pieces and props) other departments and organizations on campus and off also sponsored this production.

These groups include: The Women’s Center, The Women’s Studies Program, American Culture Studies Department, Theta Alpha Phi, and the Center for Choice (Toledo).

As sponsors, these groups helped offset the production costs for the play.

The Maumee Valley Unitarian Universalist Congregation graciously provided a venue for this production, but was not responsible for producing the play.

CHRISTINE WOODWORTH

DIRECTOR OF JANE: ABORTION AND THE UNDERGROUND

Fragile system of holding the door for others

I am proud to say that most people on this campus appear to have religiously adopted the tradition of holding doors open for others (at least in my experience of entering and leaving various buildings).

However, it is also my experience that some people for whom the door is held fail to hold it open in turn.

The delicate, unspoken system is as follows: each individual takes the door from the person holding it for them and proceeds to pass it on to the following person. Simple? I thought so, but some people seem unable to grasp the concept.

They think that when somebody is holding a door for them they can simply dance on through without ever having to touch the door.

What they don’t realize is that there are many more people behind them.

Because they neglected the traditional passing on of door-holding duties, the person who held the door for them gets stuck holding the door for everyone else because everyone assumes that this individual has become the self-appointed Door Holder for All.

This can continue for several long moments until there is a gap in the flow of people and the person is able to walk away safely, frustrated and bent on writing a letter to the editor of the BGNews.

An originally simple concept has suddenly become complicated.

I propose a remedy: if someone holds a door open for you, return the favor so the poor soul doesn’t become trapped in a vicious cycle of door-holding etiquette.

MARIA HUMMER

STUDENT