BG rugby rolls to take MAC

The Bowling Green rugby juggernaut continues to roll on.

In a match that was essentially over just 37 seconds after it began, the Falcon ruggers crushed Western Michigan 88-0 to win the Mid-American Conference club rugby title for the twenty-third straight time. BG also defeated the Broncos 27 — 3 in a second non-league match.

“It’s been quite a run, hasn’t it,” said BG head coach Roger Mazzarella, who was the team’s captain when the streak started in 1982. “Winning the title in such a blowout game does take a little of the luster off of it, nonetheless, the MAC is and continues to be one step toward our goal of winning a national title for BG.”

Mazzarella was clearly looking ahead to this week’s match-up with Indiana University. The Hoosiers haven’t been as hospitable about losing to BG as have the MAC teams.

“Everything from now on is a one game playoff,” BG’s current captain Vince Staropoli said. “Losing to Indiana means we would be left begging for an at large spot. The guys know what is riding on their performance this Saturday.”

Until then, there is still time to revel in last week’s match.

The Falcons so completely dominated the Broncos that no Western player touched the ball until 16 minutes into the match. By that time the game had been long over.

The opening kickoff by BG was fielded by a Western player who was immediately pan caked on the tackle by hooker Rob Pace.

The loose ball was recovered by scrum half Brian Knaupe who spun it out to center Ben Fledderjohann streaking down the middle of the field. The stunned Broncos made no attempt at stopping him as he touched down with just 37 seconds gone in the match.

It was 21 — 0 on a pair of similar tries by Andrew Hughes and three conversions by wing Matt Johnston before any Bronco even got a chance to touch the ball.

“The guys were just stunned at how fast BG scored,” said Western captain Jon Drummond. “We were warned about how dangerous BG’s offense was, and I have to admit, they really put on quite a show.”

Even with the game in hand, BG continued to pour it on, lighting up the scoreboard three more times before the half on tries by center Ian Gagnon, scrum half Brian Knaupe and fullback Jake Puhl. Johnston’s sole conversion made it 38 — 0 at the half.

“I’ve been asked a lot of times if there is a mercy rule in rugby or why we don’t pull all the starters when we start making the scoreboard go nuts,” commented Mazzarella. “Quite simply — there isn’t and we can’t. Rugby only allows a couple of substitutes and they must be saved for injuries. Unfortunately, that means a couple of quick scores usually starts cascading into a rout. Once the offense gets switched on, it is almost impossible to turn it off.”

As a result, Western fared even worse after halftime. Knaupe, Puhl, and Gagnon all picked up their second tries of the day, while eight man J.D. Ackermann, lock Aaron Slates, wings Matt Johnston and Ben Gutek, and flanker Brian Farrell all scored on solo efforts. Johnston also added another two-point conversion kick and fly half Derek Imes landed four of his seven attempts. Ackermann’s try was a nightmare of rare power for the Broncos as the Falcon forwards drove their Western counterparts backwards 15 yards before the 6’6″ eight-man downed the ball in the end zone.

With the MAC title in hand, the Falcons fielded a squad that was a mixture of rookies and second-year vets for the second match but with little difference in the result as far as Western was concerned. The Bronco offense made a little more headway this time around, but in the end only had a penalty kick field goal to show for their persistence in a 27 — 3 Falcon victory.

Rookie wing Brent Goocey streaked down the sidelines for both of BG’s first two tries. Fly half Boyd Davis got a try and BG’s only conversion kick while scrum hall Jamie Hull and prop Ty Long also scored tries.

“Indiana is the focus our attention right now,” BG assistant Chris Hopps said. “Miami is our only mutual opponent with them winning 55-10 while we beat the Redhawks 48-0. I see this one being a defensive struggle. It is too bad that our biggest game of the year comes right at the start of fall break and there might not be anyone here to watch it.”

The Falcons, now 15-2, will host the Indiana Hoosiers (2-0) on Saturday with a 1:00 p.m. game time at the College Park rugby field.