Speaker list grows for Moore appearance

Toledo — As director and author Michael Moore’s “Slacker Uprising Tour 2004” nears northwest Ohio, Toledo native and Ms. Magazine founder Gloria Steinem has been added to the list of speakers.

Jason Kucsma, co-editor of Toledo’s independent Clamor Magazine, thinks the extended speakers list adds to the excitement.

“From my perspective, Toledo deserves this kind of attention,” Kucsma said. “The Washington Post called Toledo the epicenter of the election and we are a huge working-class city.”

Clamor Magazine has teamed with many other sponsors to host Moore’s visit this Monday, beginning at 7:30 p.m. at the Seagate Center. Tickets are still available.

Moore has produced documentaries such as “Roger and Me” and “Bowling for Columbine.” He also wrote “Stupid White Men” and “Dude, Where’s My Country.”

He recently released his book, “Will They Ever Trust Us Again?”, filled with letters from soldiers in Iraq.

After nearly two months of preparation, Kucsma said they are ready for Moore and have plannned a few events around his appearance.

Today there is a free pre-party at Headliners, 4500 N. Detroit Ave.

Clamor Magazine and theVerso Group are co-sponsoring the party called Less Bush, MORE MOORE, which will be showing free screenings of Moore’s Fahrenheit 9/11.

Those attending the party can enjoy music from The MisShapes and Fannypack, both from New York City. For information on the afterparty and other events surrounding Moore’s appearance check out www.clamormagazine.org.

With 1,000 of the 3,500 tickets still available for Monday night’s event, Kucsma said students and Bowling Green community members can still plan on buying tickets at the door Monday.

“There are very few events you can hold in northwestern Ohio that draw so many people,” Kucsma said. “People have bought tickets from Indiana, Cleveland, southern Ohio and many parts of Michigan.”

Moore brings a lot to the political debate, Kucsma said, and even those who disagree with his views should keep an open mind.

“I think that the people who criticize Moore and haven’t seen his films, read his books or his articles need to open themselves up to hear his opinion,” Kucsma said. “He advocates listening to each other and he is putting out an idea that is not unfounded.”

In preparing for such a controversial speaker, Kucsma said security will be tight. Plus, Moore travels with his own security guards.

“As far as the security — we have a ton … I do not foresee very many problems,” Kucsma said.

With this tour and his new book, Moore hopes to put faces on the people in Iraq, Kucsma said.

“It’s obvious that the war is a huge issue in trying to decide on who to vote for in the elections,” Kucsma said. “He will be talking about how supporting Kerry is a much better plan to get out of Iraq as soon as possible.”

Alongside Moore, Steinem will begin her 15,000 mile tour on Monday. “A lot of celebrities have realized they have two weeks to get out there and make something happen,” Kucsma said. “She wants to get out the vote for women and young voters.”