Soccer misses again

Progression seems to be the overwhelming theme for the men’s soccer team this season. Despite falling to 0-11 after a 2-0 loss to Oakland on Wednesday the men’s soccer team is remaining positive for the rest of the season and is constantly looking to improve and move forward.

Wednesday’s loss marked the seventh time the team had been shutout in the first half of the season.

“The Oakland game was very interesting,” said Coach Thompson. “They were a very solid soccer team and were very committed to the cause. At one point in the game we were second to every ball for 10 minutes. They were very determined and we lacked their determination.”

Despite the two goals given up by Falcons goaltender Tyler Dollins, he had one of his best games of the season. Dollins recorded a season high 11 saves in the losing effort.

“Tyler did an excellent job against Oakland. He made some real big saves and was helping his defenders out,” said Thompson. “The goaltenders, for the most part, have been unfortunate to have so many goals scored on them. I am pleased to say that the vast majority of the goals have not been the keepers fault.”

The Falcons have been outscored this season 40-9 but Coach Thompson says the Falcons are always working to get better and still thinks this team can save the season.

“My goals for this season have not changed, my goals will always stay the same,” said Thompson. “The goal is to keep getting better every time we step on the field. I don’t think we’ve accomplished that, we’ve had our ups and downs but we’re just not as far ahead as we should be.”

Thompson believes it is never about just winning. The coach admitted to not even realizing the record of the team until the heckling crowd of Oakland started chanting “0-11” towards the end of the game.

“The goal is never about winning, it’s about the performance and the process. Doing the right things will take care of the victories and that’s our goal,” said Thompson. “We obviously have other objectives as well. We would like to make a dent in the conference and in the conference tournament. So it is still all there to be played for.”

The Falcons will get their second chance at a conference opponent this Sunday at 2 p.m. when Akron visits Bowling Green. Sunday’s conference games, marks the second MAC game for the Falcons and will be their chance to get to .500 in conference play. The Falcons are expecting a hard fought conference game and one that should be exciting to watch.

“Akron is a good team. They are a strong and physical team, they’re very good at connecting the dots on the field and they have lot of enthusiasm,” said Thompson.

Despite losing to Akron last season the Falcons believe they can exploit the Zips in some areas and are hopeful for a victory.

“I’m looking forward to the game,” said Thompson. “I think everyone has just got to be fired up to play Akron. It’s going to be a battle and there should be some sparks flying.”

With more than half the season completed the resilient Falcons are surprisingly still positive towards the season but realize that the season is going fast.

“It’s that time when you have to step up and shut up and just do it,” said Thompson. It’s going to be one of those games that if we don’t come out and match their enthusiasm and intensity they are just going to run us off the field.”