Soccer hopes to gain first victory of season this week

To say it’s been a rough road for the men’s soccer team would be an understatement. But to say the road is getting smoother would be a safer assumption.The Falcons hosted the Kelme Classic and while the weekend was tough, BG did show some improvement. They took an undefeated IUPUI team into overtime Saturday afternoon before dropping the tournament finale to St. Bonaventure 4-1 Sunday afternoon.”It was an interesting weekend,” BG head coach Fred Thompson said. “Saturday was a good showing and I was pleased with that. We were more organized on defense and we played better soccer than we did [in the season opener] Wednesday.”The opener, against IUPUI, saw the Falcons face a player in Vangel Nacovski, that Thompson feels can take over a game for his team. That is exactly what he did against the Falcons as he scored two goals, one of which gave IUPUI the win in overtime, 3-2.”Occasionally one of the teams has a player that is special,” Thompson said. “IUPUI had [Nacovski], he scored five goals on the weekend and was tournament MVP.”But the weekend wasn’t all improvement on Sunday as the Falcons took a step back in the loss to St. Bonaventure.”If we would’ve continued to move forward, it would’ve been okay,” Thompson said. “But we continued to make the same mistakes. There’s been a lack of someone stepping up and saying ‘we’re going to do this thing.'”But there were some bright spots in the game as well.”With St. Bonaventure, we outplayed them,” Thompson said. “But we made some mistakes and the boys had trouble recovering from it.”The Falcons did have some good moments offensively as they scored their first goals of the season. Matt Yanick and Dave Belfort broke into the scoring column in Saturday’s contest and P.J. Behan scored a goal of his own against St. Bonaventure Sunday. BG won’t have much time to dwell on what happened as today they are travelling to Detroit to take on Detroit-Mercy.”We don’t have much time to train and fix things,” Thompson said. “I’m looking for us to be more competitive and stronger mentally.”Even though things are looking down for the Falcons and a road trip in most realms means times are about to get worse, Thompson sees the road trip as nothing but positive.”I’m loving it,” he said. “Any time you get to play is a good day. It will bring a new challenge to the team and they can show me something new.”The Falcons will take the field at 5 p.m. in Detroit.