Egelman will accept post as health director

Dr. Glen Egelman will be the next director of Student Health Services when he steps into position July 6, replacing interim director Rebecca Utz.

Egelman was selected out of 24 candidates that applied for the position, which became vacant after former director Dr. Josh Kaplan passed away in December.

According to Vice President Edward Whipple, the University sought out a candidate who had experience and could relate well with patients.

“Dr. Egelman not only has tremendous qualification and great experience but knows the health-related issues facing college students,” Whipple said.

Prior to coming to the University, Egelman served as health services director for Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and associate staff physician at Saratoga Hospital.

He has also been President of the New York State College Health Association since 2003 and has served on the association’s board of directors since 1998.

Over the last year, the Saratogian newspaper named Egelman as one of the “20 under 40 movers and shakers” in the Saratoga region for his accomplishments at Skidmore College.

According to Bettina Shuford, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, one of the biggest obstacles the new director will face will be trying to fill Kapaln’s shoes.

“The challenge will be replacing a director who had years of experience and was highly respected by his colleagues,” Shuford said.

Under Kaplan’s direction Student Health Service added new physical therapy services, expanded hours to treat patients and provided health service to the spouses and children of students for one semester after graduation.

According to Shuford, Egelman will also bring his own ideas that will renovate Student Health Services.

“The sort of things mentioned during the interview, for example, was improving the website,” Shuford said. “If a student wants to go on the site at 2 a.m. because they have a headache and are wondering what to do, the site will provide information on what they need to do and if they need to come in and seek advice or services from a physician.”

Shuford said Egelman is also looking to further expand Student Health Service evening hours in hopes to make the facility more accessible to students. He also plans to improve health education on campus.