BGSU Baseball dominates Miami 12-3

Tyler Kavalecz, Sports Reporter, Falcon Media Sports Network

BGSU baseball’s (8-12, 4-4 MAC) offense erupted in the first game of a doubleheader Sunday, as the Falcons defeated Miami (4-20, 2-6 MAC) 12-3.  

With the win, Bowling Green extended their win streak to five games and improved their home record to 4-0.

This record is the team’s best start at Steller Field since 2008. 

The Orange and Brown scored first in the second inning, marking just the fourth time they have played from in front this season.  

Senior Ryan Johnston drew a walk, stealing second and advancing to third on a throwing error.

Sophomore Gavin Ganun drove in Johnston with a single for the game’s first run.   

In the next at-bat, freshman Sam Seidel hit a two-run home run, giving BG a 3-0 lead.

Sophomore Nathan Archer continued the rally, scorching a double down the right field line, scoring senior Kyle Gurney.

The Falcons continued to pour on the offense in the third inning, as senior Tyler Ross singled, scoring freshman DJ Newman.

Ganun drove in two more runs in the fifth on a single, giving BGSU a 7-0 advantage.  

BG made it a 9-0 game in the sixth inning, with senior Nathan Rose launching a two-run home run.

Miami scored their first run in the seventh on a home run by junior Cooper Weiss, ultimately scoring three in the inning to make it a 9-3 game.   

The Orange and Brown continued the scoring parade in the eighth inning.

Rose hit his second home run of the game and his fourth long ball in three games.

Ross and senior Jack Krause both walked, scoring via a throwing error and a wild pitch, respectively.  

Junior Peyton Wilson started for the Falcons and put on his best performance of the season, earning his first win.

He struck out a career-high 10 batters over seven innings, which matched the longest outing of his career.

Sophomore Landon Willeman pitched the game’s final two innings for the Falcons, striking out two and walking one without allowing a hit or run.  

RedHawks junior Zach Maxey was charged with the loss, as BG jumped on the Miami starter to the tune of six hits and five runs over 2.2 innings.  

The Orange and Brown closed out the three-game series against MU Sunday. You can read about that game here. 

For more information about the team, visit the athletics webpage.