Saturday’s win for BGSU Football comes in large part to Davon Ferguson’s huge day

BGSU Athletics

It’s safe to say the defense for Bowling Green won the game for the Falcons against Buffalo on Saturday afternoon- the defense had five turnovers and blocked a punt. 

And for Davon Ferguson, he was the ringleader of it all. 

Ferguson snagged two of the four interceptions by the defense and added on five total tackles, four of which were on his own and one of those being for a loss. 

“We come out every play trying to give your best performance and we really came to play forcing five turnovers. You know you can’t ask for much more,” said Ferguson at the post-game press conference. 

You can’t ask for much more is right. The offense scored 14 of their 24 points when given a turnover, which led the reemphasis on how winning takes all facets of the game.

“It’s an overall defensive thing, it’s not the secondary, it’s not the defensive line, it’s not the linebackers, it’s just a collective unit. So at the end of the day, it’s a collective unit and once we get going I think we’re a really good team, said Ferguson.”

Bowling Green came into this game ranked sixth in the Mid-American Conference in interceptions with six, but their four yesterday now puts them first in all of the MAC with 10. 

As for Ferguson’s two, he had the most takeaways by any player across the MAC yesterday. While he enjoys making plays, he knows it’s a learning process to be consistent week in and week out. 

“It’s a learning thing for us and how do we take this to the next week and the week after that,” said Ferguson. “Obviously, it’s a good thing you want to win your MAC games to get to the MAC championship but I think it’s more so learning for ourselves and learning with each other while continuing to be consistent.” 

Consistency is head coach Scot Loeffler’s motive for this whole year and he was loving what he saw from his defense yesterday. 

“Our defense came up big in the fourth quarter, kept them [Buffalo] out of the end zone, kept them [Buffalo] out of field goal range and that was huge,” said Loeffler postgame. “Obviously, Special teams play was awesome, we worked on that blocked punt all week.” 

Ferguson came into this game with zero interceptions on the year and only one in his whole career which came all the way back in 2018 when he was a member of the Kansas Jayhawks.  

The senior left today with a pair on his stat sheet and he could not be more excited about it for himself and his team.