Chicago State MBB Preview: Falcons tip-off Simon era with battle against Cougars

Drake Harlett
Rashaun Agee dunks the ball against Toledo

Bowling Green Men’s Basketball begins their 2023-2024 season and the Todd Simon era on Monday, Nov. 6, as they welcome Chicago State into the Stroh Center at 7 p.m. on Monday. 

BG is seeking a win in their home opener for the sixth straight season.  

The Falcons come into the matchup having won all three previous meetings against the Cougars. The last meeting against CSU, a 75-57 win against the Cougars on Nov. 28, 2021, marked BGSU’s 100th win at the Stroh Center.  

Chicago State finished last season with an 11-20 overall record, finishing with back-to-back losses against Gonzaga and Fresno State. This season marks their second competing as an independent team.   

The Cougars welcome six new players this season, three of whom are transfers. The transfers, who are all juniors, include forwards Noble Crawford and Cameron Jernigan from Long Island and Tarleton State, respectively, and guard Alex Raiford from Northern Oklahoma.  

Simon has yet to reveal a starting lineup for the Falcons leading up to the season opener. The Falcons come into this season with 10 new players, nine of which are transfers.  

No matter who starts for the Orange and Brown, one can assume that the offense will be fast-paced.   

Last season, Simon’s Southern Utah Thunderbirds ranked fourth in the nation for scoring offense, scoring 82.8 points per game and trailing just Gonzaga, Toledo and Oral Roberts.  

One can also expect the Falcons to have good rim protection from start to finish this season.  

Senior forward Rashaun Agee, one of four returning players for the Falcons this season, led the team and finished fourth in the Mid-American Conference with 32 blocks last season.   

Joining Agee down low this season will be 6-foot-11-inch senior center Jason Spurgin, who followed Simon from Southern Utah to Bowling Green. Last season, Spurgin led the Thunderbirds and finished second in the Western Athletic Conference with 63 blocks.  

Falcon Media Sports Network’s Henry Kosko and Steve Iwanek have the call of the game Monday night on Falcon Radio as the Falcons look to start their season and the Todd Simon era with a win over Chicago State.

Pregame will begin at 6:45, and they will lead you through all the action starting at 7 p.m.