BGSU MBB vs Buffalo preview: Falcons seeking best start since 2019-2020 season

Jack Rintamaa
Marcus Hill (0) and Da’Shawn Phillip (5) celebrating after a big play

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team will look to end their recent skid before beginning a three-game road trip as they host the last-place Buffalo Bulls at the Stroh Center on Tuesday, Feb. 6. 

Falcon Media Sports Network’s Tyler Kavalecz and Holden Ruck will have the call on Falcon Radio starting at 6:40 for pregame and 7 p.m. for tip-off.  

With a win, the Falcons would secure their most home wins (10), best overall record through 23 games (16-7) and best conference record through 11 Mid-American Conference (MAC) games (7-4) since the 2019-2020 season.  

Matchup History  

Tuesday’s contest will mark the 48th all-time meeting between the two teams. Buffalo, the newest MAC opponent for BG, leads the series 25-22.  

The Bulls have won the previous three contests against the Falcons, including a 100-71 victory against BG in their last battle on Jan. 17, 2023.  

Bowling Green’s last win against Buffalo dates back to Jan. 15, 2021, while their last home win against the Bulls came on Dec. 6, 2020. 

Scouting Buffalo  

Buffalo has struggled all season under first-year head coach George Halcovage III and sits in last place in the MAC standings, holding a 2-19 overall and 1-8 conference record this season.  

UB fell by 31 points against Kent State on Friday, marking their eighth consecutive loss since their 12-point victory over Central Michigan to open conference play on Jan. 2.  

Buffalo’s offense has been one of the worst in the nation this season.   

Along with scoring the second-fewest points per game in the MAC, 66.5, the Bulls shoot just 40.5% from the field and 26.3% on three-pointers, ranking worst in the conference.   

Even though they attempt 25.6 three-pointers per game, the most in the MAC, Buffalo is the fifth-worst three-point shooting team in the country.  

UB’s defense has been just as bad, if not worse, than their offense this season.  

Along with allowing 80.0 points per game, the second-worst in the MAC, the Bulls allow opponents to shoot 36.5% from beyond the arc, the worst in the conference.   

Buffalo also allows opponents to shoot 48.6% from the field, the fourth-highest opponent field goal percentage in the country.  

The Bulls rank in the middle of the pack in the MAC in rebounding.  

Although they rank fifth in the conference with 35.3 rebounds per game, Buffalo grabs 11.4 offensive rebounds per game, the second-most in the MAC.  

Buffalo has also been one of the worst ball security teams in the MAC, averaging 14.9 turnovers per game, the worst in the MAC.  

Scouting Bowling Green  

Bowling Green enters the contest in fourth place in the MAC standings under first-year head coach Todd Simon, holding a 15-7 overall and 6-4 conference record.  

The Falcons lost to Central Michigan in a heartbreaker on Saturday, falling to the second-place Chippewas in double overtime, 77-76. 

After starting conference play 5-1, BG has lost three of their past four contests.  

BGSU’s offense ranks middle of the pack in the MAC.  

While the Falcons score 76.7 points per game, the fourth most in the conference, they shoot just 44.2% on field goals and 31.4% on three-pointers, ranking ninth and 10th in the MAC, respectively.  

Bowling Green’s offense has kicked into another gear during conference play. BG averages 80.0 points per game against conference opponents, the best mark in the MAC.  

BG’s defense also ranks in the middle of the pack in the MAC this season.  

The Falcons hold opponents to 44.3% shooting from the field and 72.0 points per game, ranking fifth and sixth in the conference, respectively. However, BGSU allows opponents to shoot 35.9% from beyond the arc, the second-worst mark in the MAC.  

While they were one of the best defensive teams in the MAC during non-conference play, Bowling Green has been one of the worst defensive teams in the MAC against conference opponents.  

On top of allowing conference opponents to shoot 40.4% on three-pointers, the worst mark in the MAC, the Falcons have allowed conference opponents to score 80.2 points per game and shoot 48.8% on field goals, the second-worst marks in the MAC.  

One of Bowling Green’s biggest strengths this season has been rebounding.  

The Falcons lead the MAC with 38.1 rebounds and 27.0 defensive rebounds per game. BG also outrebounds their opponents by 2.2 boards per game and grabs 11.0 offensive rebounds per contest, ranking fourth in the conference.  

Another major strength for the Falcons has been their ball security.  

BG commits just 11.2 turnovers per game, the third-fewest in the MAC.  

Falcon Four Players to Watch  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12)  

The senior forward has been dominant for the Falcons this season.  

Along with leading the MAC with 77 offensive rebounds, Agee ranks second in the conference with 9.2 rebounds per game and 59% shooting from the field.  

The Chicago, Illinois, native finished with 20 points and a team-high 14 rebounds against Central Michigan on Saturday. Agee has now scored double-digit points in 14 consecutive games, recording 10 double-doubles during that span.  

Agee is averaging 15.5 points and 10.6 rebounds per game, joining Akron’s Enrique Freeman as the only MAC players averaging a double-double during conference play.  

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0)  

The junior guard continues to be the heartbeat of Bowling Green’s offense in his first season at the Division I level.  

Hill leads the MAC with 21.3 points per game and 468 points scored this season.  

The Rockford, Illinois, native has scored at least 20 points in seven straight games, the longest active streak in the country and tied for the third-longest streak this season.  

Sy Chatman (Buffalo #1)  

The fifth-year forward has been one of the best players in the MAC this season.  

Chatman ranks fourth in the conference with 30 blocks, sixth with 18.1 points per game and eighth with 6.2 rebounds per game.  

However, the Minneapolis, Minnesota, native, who redshirted last season after transferring to UB from Illinois State, is coming off his worst shooting performance of the season on Friday against Kent State.  

Isaiah Adams (Buffalo #3)  

The senior forward has been one of the main contributors for the Bulls, averaging 3.4 assists, 12.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game.   

Along with ranking second on the team in points scored, the Jacksonville, Florida, native ranks sixth in the MAC with 55 assists.  

Although he fouled out in UB’s last game against Kent State on Friday, Adams has scored double-digit points in three straight games and five of the past six contests.