BGSU men’s basketball vs Louisiana preview: Falcons looking for sweep in MAC-Sun Belt Challenge

Jack Walsh
Trey Thomas (1) trying to get the ball away

After an 87-73 victory against Buffalo, the Falcons will begin a three-game road trip as they travel to Louisiana to take on the Ragin’ Cajuns on Feb 11, at 3:00 p.m.  

With a win, the Falcons would move them to 17-7 on the season- their best record through 24 games since the 2019-20 season, mark 10 non-conference wins for the first time since the 2018-19 season and would give BG a 2-0 record in the MAC-Sun Belt Challenge after defeating Arkansas State earlier in the season.  

Matchup History 

The contest between BGSU and Louisiana will be the first matchup in both team’s history. This would be the fourth team that Bowling Green has faced with no prior matchup history- joining Sienna Heights, Bellarmine, and Lipscomb.  

BG v Louisiana would be the Falcon’s 320th opponent in their history- dating all the way back to 1915-16.  

Scouting Louisiana.  

The Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns currently sports a 15-9 record on the season and currently ranks fourth in the Sun-Belt conference standings with an 8-4 record vs the rest of the conference. 

In their last contest, Louisiana fell to Georgia St 78-69, snapping the Ragin’ Cajuns seven-game winning streak. Louisiana has a record of 8-2 in their last 10 games. 

Louisiana scores an average of 77.3 points per game this season- ranking them sixth in the conference in points scored per game. The Ragin’ Cajuns defense currently allows 71.2 points per game, also ranking them sixth in the conference in points allowed per game. 

Louisiana has one of the best shooting teams in the entire Sun-Belt conference. The Ragin’ Cajuns shot 46.2% from the field- third in the conference, 36.4% from three- first in the conference and 74.1% from the free throw line- third in the conference.  

Defensively- Louisiana is not to be underestimated. While the Ragin’ Cajuns do allow an opponent Field Goal average of 45.3%- one of the highest in the conference-they hold opponents to shooting 26.5% from the three-point line- the lowest allowed in the Sun Belt. 

Louisiana ranks near the top of the conference when it comes to blocked shots and steals per game- averaging 3.9 and 8.5 per game respectively.  

Lousiana ranks near the bottom of the pack when it comes to overall rebounding.  

Scouting Bowling Green 

Bowling Green currently stands at a 16-7 record on the season and sits in fourth place in the Mid-American Conference (MAC)- with a 7-4 conference record. 

Under first-year Head Coach Todd Simon– Bowling Green has recorded its best overall season in years- with a chance to have their best record through 24 games with a victory against Louisiana.  

The Falcons picked up the win against Buffalo on Feb 3- defeating the Bulls 87-73.  

In their last five contests, Bowling Green has recorded an overall record of 2-3.  

Bowling Green’s offense has increased into a new gear since they entered conference play. 

BG scores 77.2 points per game- the third most in the conference. 

The Falcons shot 44.6% from the field- the eighth best in the conference and 31.3% on three-pointers- the 10th best in the MAC. 

Defensively, BG allows 72.0 points per game, allowing an opponent field goal percentage at 44.3% and an opponent 35.7% from the three-point line. 

BG averages 6.74 steals per game and 38.0 rebounds per game- the 38.0 rebounds per game ranks them at the top of the MAC in overall rebounds per game. 

Falcon Four Players to watch 

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0) 

It’s tough to believe that this is Marcus Hill’s first season playing at the Division One level, but it’s the truth. 

Hill averages 21.5 points per game on 46.2% shooting. 

He has scored 20 points in eight straight games- he is one of three players to be able to accomplish this feat this season and the only player to still have an active streak.  

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12) 

Rashaun Agee has recorded 11 double-double games this season. 

Agee averages 13.0 ppg and 9.3 rebounds per game, along with recording the second-most rebounds in the MAC this season. 

He needs 86 more rebounds this season to crack the top 10 of most rebounds in a season for the Falcons. 

Kobe Julien (Louisiana #4) 

Kobe Julien is the top scorer for the Ragin’ Cajuns this season, averaging 18.5 ppg. 

The junior has scored 28 points on 7-17 shooting in Louisiana’s loss to Georgia St. 

Julien has scored double-digit points in almost every game he has played this season. 

Joe Charles (Louisiana #1) 

Joe Charles is currently averaging a double-double this season for the Ragin’ Cajuns, scoring 11.4 ppg and 10.0 rebounds per game.  

Additionally, Charles shot 87.1% from the free-throw line. 

Last game against Georgia St, Charles scored 15 points and grabbed 11 rebounds.