Falcon tennis completes split weekend with win against Slippery Rock, loss to Youngstown State

Drake Harlett
BGSU vs UIC

Bowling Green tennis took care of business this weekend, sweeping Slippery Rock Saturday afternoon 7-0.

On Saturday, the match opened up with freshman Isabella Baker and Sophomore Leticia Fonseca picking up the first win for the Falcons in their double’s matchup (6-3).  

They would also get help from seniors Lucy Furness and Hannah Neuman who brought experience to the table to pick up the victory in their match (6-4). 

Freshmen Tia Clemens and Brynn Chaffee brought the fight to Slippery Rock but would fall with the score 6-4, giving Bowling Green their only match loss Saturday afternoon.  

All six of the Falcon’s competitors won their respective singles matchups. Out of all of these victories, the most notable performances came from Furness (6-2, 6-4), Fonseca (6-4,6-3), Baker (7-5,7-5) and Clemens (6-4, 6-3), who all won their matches in two sets.  

This win gave the Falcons their third win and brought their overall record to 3-2 heading into Sunday. It also was their second sweep of the campaign so far. 

On Sunday, the Falcons returned to the court in Youngstown, this time to play the hosting Youngstown State Penguins.

BG went down early as while Furness and Neuman won their doubles match, neither of the other doubles could replicate that success leading to BG losing the doubles point.

A strong performance from Baker led her to beat Youngstown State’s Lili Minich. However, this is where it took a turn for the worse for the Falcons, as the orange and brown lost all other singles matches which led Youngstown State to win the overall match 6-1. 

The Falcons hope to continue their momentum on Friday, Feb. 16 against Cleveland State.