BGSU MBB vs Eastern Michigan preview: Falcons looks to sweep season series vs Eagles

Drake Harlett
Marcus Hill going up for a layup

After a 20-point loss to Louisiana on Sunday, Bowling Green men’s basketball now gets ready to travel to Ypsilanti for the second game of a three-game road trip, taking on the Eastern Michigan Eagles at the George Gervin Game Above Center on Saturday, Feb 17.  

With a win, the Falcons can clinch their 10th straight win against Eastern Michigan, marking the largest win streak for either team in their numerous matchups. 

Additionally, a win would clinch the BG season sweep over the Eagles and give the Falcons a Mid-American Conference (MAC) record of 8-4- their best MAC record through 12 games since the 2019-20 season (9-3).  

Matchup History  

Saturday afternoon will mark the 93rd all time matchup between Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan. Currently, BG holds the lead through 92 games played with a record of 57-35. 

BGSU is currently on a nine-game winning streak vs Eastern Michigan- winning their last matchup in overtime 92-90 on January 2 at the Stroh Center.  

Eastern Michigan’s last win against Bowling Green dates all the way back to the 2016-17 season. The Eagles defeated the Falcons 81-53 at the Stroh Center. 

Scouting Eastern Michigan 

Eastern Michigan has struggled mightily since entering MAC play in their season schedule- currently sitting at a 9-15 record with a 2-9 record against the MAC. The Eagles are ranked second to last in the MAC standings. 

The Eagles lost to the UL Monroe Warhawks 82-76 in their MAC- Sun Belt Challenge matchup. The Eagles are currently on a four-game losing streak.  

Eastern Michigan’s offense has been one of the worst in the MAC. 

The Eagles score the third least points per game in the MAC, averaging 67.5 PPG. Eastern Michigan shoots 43.9% from the field and 31.1% from the three-point line, both which rank in the bottom five of the MAC in shooting percentages. 

Additionally, the Eagles record the second worst free throw percentage in the MAC- shooting 67% from the line. 

Defensively, Eastern Michigan allows 75.6 PPG- the ninth most points allowed per game in the MAC. The Eagles allow an extremely high opponent field goal percentages in the entire MAC- allowing 47% on opponent shooting. 

In rebounding, Eastern Michigan averages the fewest defensive rebounds per game- grabbing 23.0 per game- the lowest in the MAC. 

Additionally, the Eagles average 2.21 blocks per game- which again, ranks them at the bottom of the MAC in a statistical category. 

Scouting Bowling Green 

Bowling Green travels to face Eastern Michigan currently holding a 16-8 record with a 7-4 record against the MAC, ranking BG fourth in the MAC standings, under first year head coach Todd Simon.  

The Falcons fell in their last contest this past weekend against Louisiana in the MAC-Sun Belt Challenge, losing 86-60 to the Ragin’ Cajuns. 

In their last five games, Bowling Green recorded an overall record of 2-3. 

After a tough offensive start for the Falcons at the start of the season- BG has begun to find their groove offensively- averaging the fourth most points per game in the MAC- with 76.5 PPG.  

Despite the scoring highs- statistically- the Falcon’s haven’t been the best shooters. Shooting 44.6% from the field- ranking BG in the middle of the pack in shooting in the MAC. 

Additionally, Bowling Green averages on of the lowest three-point shooting percentages in the MAC, shooting 30.8% from beyond the arc. 

Defensively, Bowling Green allows 72.6 PPG, the sixth most points allowed per game in the MAC. 

The Falcons allow the fifth highest opponent shooting percentage in the MAC- opponents shoot 44.8% from the field when facing Bowling Green. 

Adding to the defensive troubles, Bowling Green opponents shot 36.3% from three- the second highest percentage in the MAC.  

Bowling Green averages the most rebounds per game in the MAC, grabbing 37.7 per game. 

Falcon Four players to watch 

Rashaun Agee (Bowling Green #12) 

Agee has been an absolute force for the Falcons this season. 

The senior currently averages 13 points and 9.2 rebounds a night while shooting 60% from the field. Agee’s 3.5 offensive rebounds per game is the most per game in the MAC.  

Agee’s 11 double-doubles on the season tie him for 18th in the nation and second in the MAC for double-double performances. 

Marcus Hill (Bowling Green #0) 

It’s safe to say at this point that Marcus Hill is far and away the best scorer on Bowling Green. 

Hill scores 21.5 PPG, 4.9 RPG and 2.9 assists per game this season.  

Hill has scored 20 points in nine straight games- the longest 20-point scoring streak in the nation.  

Tyson Acuff (Eastern Michigan #5) 

Tyson Acuff is currently the leading scorer for the Eagles this season. 

Acuff averages 21.3 PPG, 3.4 RPG and 2.8 APG. Acuff has scored double-digit points in every game he’s played in this season.  

Acuff’s 21.3 PPG ranks him just behind Hill’s 21.5 PPG in the MAC for most points scored per game. 

Orlando Lovejoy (Eastern Michigan #55) 

Orlando Lovejoy is the second highest scorer on the Eagles- ranking behind Acuff. 

Lovejoy averages 10.3 PPG while shooting 45.7% from the field.  

Lovejoy scored just four points in Eastern Michigan’s last time out, in a loss to the UL- Monroe Warhawks.