Five Falcons named to Women’s Golf Academic All-MAC team

BGSU Athletics
BGSU golfer Kayla Davis

Five BGSU golfers were named to the Mid-American Conference academic all-conference team.

Kayla Davis, Makenna Jones, Ava O’Sullivan, Olivia Steen and Mallory Swartz earned honors, the fourth time for Davis and the first for the others.

To qualify for academic All-MAC, golfers must maintain a 3.20 cumulative grade point average and have participated in at least half  of the team’s contests. First year freshmen and first year junior college transfers are not eligible.

Last month, Davis was named MAC Sportswoman of the Year for the second consecutive year, which is voted on by all the golfers competing in the conference championship. She is the first Falcon to win the award twice, only the third in MAC women’s golf history and the first since 2003. She scored a birdie on her final collegiate hole to finish her career with a 77.01 scoring average, which ranks second all-time in the BG record books.

After the MAC championships, head coach Erin Fahey reflected on the impact Davis had on the program.

“Her career has been legendary and so special to this program,” Fahey said. “She has certainly left BGSU better than she found it, and her impact has been felt throughout the entire MAC.”

O’Sullivan broke the program’s single-season average mark with a 75.18 scoring average per round, eclipsing the mark set by Davis last year.

BGSU Academic All-MAC Honorees

• Kayla Davis, senior, Curriculum and Teaching, 3.9
  • Makenna Jones, junior, MBA, 4.0
  • Ava O’Sullivan, sophomore, Chemistry, 3.8
  • Olivia Steen, sophomore, Aviation Studies, 3.6
  • Mallory Swartz, junior, Forensic Science, 3.9